Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Processing, cooling, when to eat

+5
HigginsRAT
coopslave
Nom_de_Plume
mirycreek
CynthiaM
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:10 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

So, got a big dude that we are going to process, gotta make way for new stock, smiling.  Yep, a huge cochin male, one year old.  Can't wait to see the weight before and after and the actual measuring of the back width.  He is huge and has provided some very nice size I think for upcoming stuff.   My Sister is coming up from the coast and her and I are going to do some chicken processing.  Well, only one I think.  If a bird is processed in the morning, cooled down to cool as cool can be, how long before that bird can go in the oven?  I am thinking this is a next day meal, can't wait, by the way, it should be a good one.  Got so many little ones that are beyond wonderful replacements, and yes, blues with the correct leg colour, and splashes, and blacks.  On my way to some good stuff with correct shank and foot colour for cochins, and I am pleased as a bug in a rug (what a strange saying, by the way).  So, tell me, I bet there are many people that kill the old red rooster when she comes, when she comes....not old, but that song certainly comes to mind.  Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

2Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:30 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Im thinking 12 hours in the fridge to rest and you should be ready to put them in the oven, less for younger stock, as long as they reach proper cold temp quickly should be fine.
As long as you are cooking kind of low and slow with some added moisture I don't think you  would need to age  the meat to tenderize, just my experience anyhow but we don't pluck we skin so I always add a bit of water to the roaster or cover with a tent of foil.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 am

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

Cynthia, "cool as cool can be" is 4°C at the thickest part of the meat (if you have a probe thermometre measuring that is easy peasy)

When you dispatch the bird make sure you bleed it out properly, hang/hold it up and when it basically stops dripping you can then pluck and eviscerate it.
Since you're only doing 1 bird I'm assuming you're just going to dry pluck it. 

If you want to scald it first, heat up your water to 58°C and dunk the bird in it for around 45 seconds or until the feathers pull out really easily.

I normally like to wait at least 24 hours before a cook a chicken to ensure rigor mortis is over.

4Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:47 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Plume, at least 24 hours.  I like closer to 2 days in the fridge before I freeze or eat.  The bird either has to not get into rigour, cook right away, or get completely through it and relax again. 
Many people will say they freeze right away and it is fine, but the bird will still finish going through rigour after it has thawed.

Do a bit of research about when rigour starts.  Maybe you can do an experiment for us and cook him before he gets into rigour.  I have always wondered about this.  Not sure he has to cool at all if you are going to cook him, does he??

Plume does that 4C mean for storage to stay safe?  Maybe they don't have to get down there if you cook them right away. 

CynthiaM, I have given you more questions than answers I think! Laughing

5Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 am

Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume

Oh and your year old rooster will be tough (but flavourful)  Cynthia. Definitely cook it with water in the pan and covered for the first half of the cooking cycle.
You will need a REALLY sharp knife to open his abdominal cavity to remove the innards. Don't forget the lungs which can be hard to remove.
Old rooster skin is very tough to cut though and it will most likely be red along his pelvis area and oil gland.

Coop, I've never tried cooking a bird without it being chilled first, not sure how that would work. Could be fine *shrug* who knows.

6Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:13 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I put my older birds in a cast iron roaster, right Farmchiq?  Very Happy
In the bottom I put a bit of chicken stock, garlic cloves, quartered onions and bay leaves.  I find I don't really need salt and pepper because of the stock, but you may need some.  I like to sprinkle a little parsley over the chook too, just to make it purdy.
I roast it slow and long with the lid on until the end, then make the BEST gravy out of the stuff left in the pan at the end of cooking.  The flavours from the juices get all infused into the bird too! 
I think you will find he is yummy, but he might be a little tough.  You will have to let us know how it goes.

7Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:40 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

8Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:55 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pfft.

Kill. Pluck. Clean.

Drag behind lawn tractor. Let the dogs shake it around a bit. Pound it with a shovel. Wash with garden hose. Flame with tiger torch. Toss into pressure cooker and pulverise until mush. Enjoy!

9Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:04 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I recommend the beer can cookers you can get from Canadian tire. Guaranteed a quality moist eating bird. The skin will be tough though as it is an older bird. A day in the fridge should be plenty but do two to be on the safe side.

10Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:59 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I say age in the fridge in ice water at least 24 to 48 hours longer if possible. I did a year old rooster (buff orp) one year and he was nice and meaty well did him that morning for a sunday lunch before going away. Well killed -bled-plucked-cleaned- cooked
It was roasted and it was like eating shoe leather could not chew at all.
so took off bones and boiled and boiled still tough I learned never cook right away aways age and age longer on older birds if possible. If I do older birds they get Canned or just plain old pressure cooked
Well thats how it worked with me 
Keep us posted how yours comes out and how you do it

11Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:49 am

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

uno wrote:Pfft.

Kill. Pluck. Clean.

Drag behind lawn tractor. Let the dogs shake it around a bit. Pound it with a shovel. Wash with garden hose. Flame with tiger torch. Toss into pressure cooker and pulverise until mush. Enjoy!

I am truly scared of my pressure cooker. one of these days i am going to have to sit down and "chat" with you ladies and figure the darn thing out. been cooking for over 25 years and I still havent a clue what to do with one. all I know is that someone told me the dang things will explode. well snap. that clinched it and I have never used one!

12Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:54 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

My one and only experience with a pressure cooker was making a stew in one, as per my friend's instructions. I had never used a pressure cooker before. I did not know the little lid thingy was supposed to jiggle and bobble all over the place. So I removed it.

I am very lucky that I did not get burned! But it did spew a  volcanic eruption of pulverized meat and veggies straight up and all over the kitchen!

Her husband calmly got up, wrapped his arm in a dish towel, replaced the little lid and said "Don't take that off again, okay?"

And that was the beginning and end of me and pressure cookers. I do not own one. I never will. By the time my meat requires that kind of steam force to make it edible, time to become a vegetarian.

13Processing, cooling, when to eat Empty Re: Processing, cooling, when to eat Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:35 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, thank you for all the comments, each one is listened to, but Tara, you have brought, again, to the surface, that information about cooking heritage breed birds, by Gina, again, to the forefront.  Long sentence here, poor grammar, but it is what it is, smiling.

Making room for stuff.  Never thought about what I had said.  By this I meant making room for bigger and better males for my breeding program.  Think I got some real honkers coming, and blues and splash, with definite yellow shanks and foot soles.  Replacements for the roosters.  The other rooster, in a couple of months too, will be heading for the processing.

Yes, thank you Uno.  She brought over the killing cone yesterday and I almost fell over.  Her and Horsey Young Adult Daughter drove it over.  I was working in the garden, and I saw Uno’s beautiful face poking through the fence.  I didn’t not hear them come, funny cause they have a very beautiful and loud truck of some sort, smiling.  Horsey Young Adult Daughter was driving, with streaming and beautiful red, maybe it was auburn hair.  Two beautiful woman, bringing me a killing cone.  On a huge hunk of wood. Attached to this hunk of wood.  Yes.  This hunk of wood was about as tall as me, and was made out of I suppose it was like 10” X 10” post, maybe it was 6” by 6”, I do so like to embellish, smiling.  I could carry it, but it probably weighed near until what I weigh too, again embellishing, I am about 135 pounds, give or take a few, probably a few heavier, hee, hee.  Ya, so now getting ready.  All I have to do now is get Sister’s butt in gear.  She arrived that day, Grandchild in tow.  She is up visiting her Daughter who lives in Vernon, so will be spending lots of time with me, probably Grandchild in tow, as she will babysit for Daughter who works at a neat restaurant, named Kelly O’Briens, and she gets to wear a kilt whilst at work, coooooool.  Darn ramblin’, onwards, now stop, back to my story.

I quickly carried that wood and killing cone and hid it in the gazebo, until we get down to some work.  I can imagine my poor Son-in-Law when he saw what was brought out of the back of the truck.  I laugh.  He probably just sighed, and thought, what next....what’s that crazy lady gonna do with that thing?  Conjures up some funny thoughts, well it does, in my mind’s eye.  Ramblin’....got a tale to tell.

So ya. This is a cochin dude, a splash, he has absence of something that I would like, so he is not sticking around.  Betters coming up, but he has contributed some good stuff, like size, health and temperament, as has his brother.  He is 14 months old, so ya, he is considered, by Gina’s description, a stewing fowl.  I guess when one looks to slow cooking, that is probably stewing.  He is worthy of the best care that I can give when it comes to the process of aging and cooking.  He will be aged a good 5 days, then decided what to do.  I don’t know if my Sister will still be here in five days.  If she is good, we will eat him in a family dinner.  If she is gone, before she goes, I will pull a great rooster from the freezer that I grew out.  Yes, Tara, gots lots of my roosters in the freezer still. I think I had about 25 or so processed last year, so a few left.  She will experience the birds grown on our farm.  For Father’s Day dinner last, my youngest Daughter insisted that we cook two of the roosters that I grew for dinner.  She knows how good they taste, and oh so tender, now that proper cooking has been in place.  She cooks in a 250 oven for 2 hours, then about 45 minutes at the hot 350 oven for browning.  Haven’t seen a need to add any water for cooking in, and there is always lots of lovely juice, no fat, none whatsoever (that is the thrilling part), but lots of drippings to make awesome gravy.  And oh the skin.  Always will have the skin on the bird.  That is the best part, her and I pig out as the bird is broken apart, the skin, next to no fat, lots of spice, and crispy, oh so crispy, we are skin lovers.  This provides a most moist, moist and tender meat, I believe the skin acts as a moisture holder in-er and bastes the bird from the inside out.  Yummy.  Yes, ramblin’....so  Sister will experience the homegrown before she goes.  In the past this woman has processed many a bird.  She raised meat birds, the ones that are ready at such a tender age.  She has not yet experienced the flavour of a full grown bird.  I recall a male that we cooked last fall that was 16 months old.  He was cooked in the same manner and really?  How could anyone say an old rooster does not taste absolutely wonderful?  I don’t think mating and hormone junk makes for bad taste.  I heard someone say that, and I totally disagree, there was nothing off about his taste, he was AWEsome.  I try now to have the males processed about 24 weeks of age, no younger, could be older, but maturity with body size.  I had made a post some time ago about the different in the development (I am speaking to buff orpingtons) of males after 20 weeks old and about the 24 week old age.  During that month’s time, incredible changes had taken place in body stature, pictures to back that up in that post.  It was nothing short of amazing what development occurred in only a month’s time.   Ramblin’, beg pardon.

So where was I?  Right.  I think even I will stuff that rooster when we eat him.  I make awesome stuffing and a stuff bird, oooooh la la.  And I have home grown pork (had all the lesser cuts of pork made into porkburger, so lots of “hamburger”).  I like to make the stuffing with onions, bread and pork hamburger, garlic salt, a little poultry seasoning and pepper, yummeeeee, best stuffing ever, and simple as simple can be. 

Sometimes I ramble so much, I can’t remember what I was ramblin’ about.  Right.  Gonna kill the old red rooster, just like the song said....have a wonderful and awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum