Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hand made knives

+4
uno
authenticfarm
lanaire-ranching
IzzyD
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hand made knives  Empty Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:10 pm

IzzyD

IzzyD

While we are on the topic of hand made things, I thought I'd share what my youngest son makes.
He started learning from a man who makes knives in his shop. Him and his wife were my neighbours when I was a girl.
This is the first knife he made with help, the sheath is from scratch as well..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is the second one, displaying it on thick white paper on the window sill made it look real nice..

He's working on his own now, he has completed one knife on his own, I'm still looking for the pic of that one.. But here is what he's working on at the moment.
One is almost finished, he still has some polishing to do on it, it's sold. Someone bought it to turn into an heirloom gift for a newborn member of their family.
The other is a Bowie knife he's been grinding on.

2Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 pm

IzzyD

IzzyD

Oops the pic didn't show for the last one..

3Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Your neighbor wasnt Donnie was he?? looks just like some knives we have of his!!  Very Happy 

good work. I love me a good knife. its like an obsession-- some girls collect shoes or dolls, I like shiney things like knives!!!

4Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:33 pm

IzzyD

IzzyD

My neighbours name was Ron

5Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:51 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Nicely done! I attended a knife maker's meet-up (as a newspaper editor, it was my job to hit up cool events) about 8, 9 years ago, with craftsmen from all over Canada showing off for each other. It was really cool to see how they make knives, the different woods available for the handles. I was surprised how beautiful caragana wood is when used on a knife! I had a lot of fun taking photos that day, and they even fed me. My first taste of chevon, as the host had Boer goats.

Anyway, it is an admirable skill to have, good for him!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:31 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Those are some handsome pieces of work! A good knife is a valuable and useful thing to have. I hope he keeps up with this craft.

7Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am so jazzed! wow. I have a wee passion for this but have yet to get in to it. I go to the second hand shops and poozle up any old knives (there are not many) that have good steel that will hold an edge. Some times people get rid of them because they look nasty I guess. I plan to do this some day. Your son is into something really groovy there, what beautiful workmanship and such a skill. Beautiful beautiful. Ya, who'd collect dolls when you can have a terrific knife like what your boy has done there. I am going to show my family tonight when they are all in the house  Smile . Well done.

8Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:33 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Beautiful workmanship

9Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 am

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wow, You have an incredibly talented son. Tell him congratulations from us.  cheers 

10Hand made knives  Empty Re: Hand made knives Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 am

pigglet

You have a very talented son. How old was he when he made his first knife? This young man has talent. Nice to see the talent our youth has. Tell him his work is beautiful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum