Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Isn't this too soon to go through a molt and be broody?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I hatched out some Olive eggers & Ameraucana chicks this summer, they just started to lay little pullet eggs maybe a month ago..and now they are molting!..one is even broody!
so help me with this...i assumed they would lay till next year, then molt.
I switched them all to layer mash despite it being winter..was that what did it?

There have been lots of people looking...but only one answer....how come?..thanks cindi

Last edited by bigrock on Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:14 am; edited 3 times in total

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Molting is the most interesting thing. I have never experienced with my breeds a spring molt, only a fall molt and only with the birds that are over a year or so. Birds hatched in the spring and summer have not experienced a fall molt here. But do the next fall, so at 1.5 years old. so weird. I am speaking of a full molt. but. I do have a buff orpington hen that was not feeling so good for about a month, not sure why, not sick, but I could tell, not just right. She got over that, whatever it was, and now she is in a full blown full molt, going through it right now. My experience, so can't help you with this. I wonder if different breeds are more prone for a spring molt than a fall molt. Weird. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I wish I had any advice for you but....I know nothing or very close to nothing.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sometimes a molt will be brought on by stress or changes. I've had birds shipped to me in the fall and often a full or partial molt will follow a few weeks later. I blame it on the stress of the move plus changes in feed. So possibly the sudden change to layer ration might have brought it on.
Other things that could trigger a molt at a weird time of year are temporary lack of feed or water or external parasites, so check them carefully for lice or mites.
Also, a little boost of protein will help them grow back their feathers, and oats is known to help with good feather formation. So a daily treat of warm oatmeal might be just the ticket!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum