Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

broody hen with others or not

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1broody hen with others or not Empty broody hen with others or not Mon May 16, 2011 1:50 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

i have a silkie and a millie fleur sitting on a ton of eggs they have about 10 days left til the eggs hatch. Do i leave them in the pen with the other chickens? block them off from the others? what are some sugguestions?

2broody hen with others or not Empty Re: broody hen with others or not Mon May 16, 2011 4:20 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Are the other hens able to still lay there eggs in the same spot? Can you block off the nest box so the other chickens can't get at the new chicks when they come?

3broody hen with others or not Empty Re: broody hen with others or not Mon May 16, 2011 5:53 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

well i had 3 nest boxes in each pen silkies and millie fluers. they stopped laying all together since the hens started laying cause that was the only box they liked toj lay in for some reason.will the other chickens bug the hen and the babies whenthey come?

4broody hen with others or not Empty Re: broody hen with others or not Mon May 16, 2011 7:42 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If she is a good mamma, nothing will get close to her. What I was wondering is, have you marked the eggs that are going to hatch? Are the other hens still laying in the nest box where they are setting?
Once the hen starts to set she is pretty much done laying. Are all those eggs coming from the other girls?

5broody hen with others or not Empty Re: broody hen with others or not Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 pm

animals just for fun

animals just for fun

a few eggs could be someone elses. i guess we will see what happens, once they hatch should i seperate them from the other hens and roosters? thanks for the answers i am new at all this.

6broody hen with others or not Empty Re: broody hen with others or not Tue May 17, 2011 7:47 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Are the nest boxes up very high? If the other hens have been laying in there, the eggs aren't going to all hatch, just the first ones when she started to set, well they would probably hatch, but she can't sit there forever once she has chicks. So give her a day or two and then if you can make like a nice spot, maybe a crate turned on it's side so she can take the chicks into it. Then you will need to have some water and food close to them. It won't be long and she will be out and about with her babies. Every hatch is different and every mamma hen is also. It's hard to give you some great advice when I am not really sure what your set up is. I have four hens right now with babies, so I am kinda telling you what I have just been doing.
There is nothing better than watching a mamma and her babies, enjoy when the time comes and good luck. Don't hesitate to ask, that's what we are here for. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum