Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Grain milling

+4
appway
Magdelan
Schipperkesue
karona
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Grain milling Empty Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Does anyone mill their own grain into flour?
I have been thinking of buying a small
hand mill and some heritage wheat to
make my own flour.
I have never done anything like this
so advise would be nice.
Thanks

2Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:10 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can do it in my Vita Mix!

3Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:04 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a hand grinding machine. Have not used it much at all actually but if you are getting a non electric one consider getting one that has a long arm so you don't have to do so many revolutions - not that I'm afraid of popeye arms but it can mean a lot of work if you wish to grind a lot of flower.

A vitamix on the other hand, very useful item too. Make icing sugar from regular sugar, take care of flax seeds, coffee beans and great smoothies  as well as flour Smile. I believe in the hand mill though. Just like machines like that.  

4Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pfarms (tera) on here does her own all the time as she also sells it at the Market I believe Sure she would tell you all about it and you could talk about the goats also LOL

5Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:07 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks appway I have been meaning to contact
her to see how the buckling is doing.
I knew they grew wheat but did not know
she milled also.
I have just descovered a place in the
Okanagan that sell heritage wheat so I am
quite excited. Just have to figure
out how to get some to PG so I can make
flour.

6Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:11 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Karona are you talking about Fieldstone Grainery? I really like them. I get their scratch some times. Long way for me to go but not as far as you! Have you asked them if they have trucks or know of transport possibilities that travel PG way?

7Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Magdelan
Yes it is Fieldstone and I have been in contact but
so far they do not distribute this far so I have made
a few suggestions and they will let me know.

8Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

fingers crossed :-). They helped us out once and got some grain put on a truck that was going to Kelowna. That was probably half our trip taken care of.

9Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Zenchicken

We have a wondermill and love it. It has both stones and stainless steel burs so you can use it for a lot of things but it is hand crank and not everybody is into that, we don't find it an issue.

10Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:09 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi Karona,

W Diamond Ranch in Telkwa sells red wheat and flour. I don't know if it is Heritage though. I"m thinking that it might be a lot easier for you to arrange transport to PG from the Smithers area. Their website is www.diamondranch.com if you are potentially interested. We have bought eggs/chevon/beef from them in the past.

11Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:31 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I feel like this is where I need to do some shameless self promotion, as we have been growing and selling heritage Red Fife wheat grain and flour for a few years now...if anyone is ever in need. We are always happy to send grain via CP for the cost of shipping.

As for advice, you have to feel it to tell if you're grinding it fine enough. There's a point at which the flour stops feeling sandy and starts feeling like fine clay where you can tell it's a better grind. This last bit is personal, but Anna and I feel like the flour bakes better bread and is probably even better for your health if you sift out most of the bran with a kitchen sieve. It's always difficult to navigate the myriad of different views on nutrition out there, but there is evidence that bran is the most difficult part of the grain to digest and may even be detrimental to your gut health.

http://countrythyme.ca

12Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:36 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Self promotion is the best promotion! I do not believe in false modesty!

I will often take my store bought whole wheat bread flour and mill it a little longer to make whole wheat pasta. The extra milling grinds up that bran and give you a less gritty pasta. Bread flour has great gluten for pasta.

13Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:42 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I two hand mills still in their boxes unused. They are from Germany and high quality if you are interested I will be selling them. I have another one that I use and decided to stick with it, it is not as pretty but is all cast iron and I can use it outside without concern of forgetting it. The german ones have a wooden hopper, very nice looking machines, one is an oat flaker and the other a grain grinder.

14Grain milling Empty Re: Grain milling Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:24 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

bckev wrote:I  two hand mills still in their boxes unused. They are from Germany and high quality if you are interested I will be selling them. I have another one that I use and decided to stick with it, it is not as pretty but is all cast iron and I can use it outside without concern of forgetting it. The german ones have a wooden hopper, very nice looking machines, one is an oat flaker and the other a grain grinder.

Can you post a picture of the grider?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum