Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Feeding grains

+3
fergy623
Rasilon
Prairie Chick
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Feeding grains Empty Feeding grains Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:45 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I feed my chickens wheat and oats (as well as pullet grower) but they are chopped which leaves the oats pretty much powder. Can I feed then whole oats and wheat?

2Feeding grains Empty Re: Feeding grains Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I feed whole grains. I start with scratch(corn wheat barley) but add whole corn , wheat, sunflower, hemp hearts or meal(I do have whole hemp seed to add though) distillers grains and I have had sweet feed to use up so I am adding it and it has whole oats in it.

3Feeding grains Empty Re: Feeding grains Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Make sure they have grit at all times and feed them whole grains and lentils and whatnot to your hearts content Very Happy

4Feeding grains Empty re feeding grain Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:32 pm

fergy623

fergy623
New Here

You sure can feed grains of all types. typically peas and corn should be cracked or soaked and then softened up a bit. bit they will eat anything. and yes make sure they have plenty of gravel to peck through or grit in a bowl nearby. Also watch for Ergot in the grain. if your not sure what it looks like its swollen and darker seed, can be found in Wheat and Barley, not sure about oats. avoid Moldy or musty grains. Here is a link for Ergot infected grain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot

5Feeding grains Empty Re: Feeding grains Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:54 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I feed whole grain and add extra stuff as I have it...bones, meat and fat, veggies, etc. in spring I buy layer mash for the birds I am breeding.

I buy whole oats and wheat from the local seed cleaning plant, and when I can get it, mixed grain screenings.

6Feeding grains Empty Re: Feeding grains Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:16 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

See I get wheat and oats but the farmer chops it and I find the birds don't really like it, they waste a lot because its too powdery. I tried adding some water to it but it turned into cement, not good. I have fed whole wheat before with not problems but wasn't sure about the oats. I hate to waste so I think whole grains would be better than chopped.

7Feeding grains Empty Re: Feeding grains Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:34 pm

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I feed whole grains. I tried some chopped and they didn't like it. I feed oats as well. Lou

8Feeding grains Empty Re: Feeding grains Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:07 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I feed steam rolled oats to all our livestock here. In some previous discussions it was suggested that the oats needed to be rolled. Oats are not the only food used here.

9Feeding grains Empty Re: Feeding grains Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:18 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

I feed whole oats all winter to my hens in addition to regular layer mash. I was soaking the oats for 12 - 24 hours before feeding. If you soak or sprout, the grain comes alive and from what I have read, there is a huge increase in nutritional value. I like to think I'm getting a bigger bang for my buck. In any case, the hens mobbed me when I came out with their oats. Definitely preferred to layer crumbles!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum