Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How we made out at Red Deer

+7
rosewood
CynthiaM
Giddyup
cornel
uno
Arcticsun
Hidden River
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How we made out at Red Deer Empty How we made out at Red Deer Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My girls are very happy with Red Deer, I think they are now hooked for sure! Great job to everyone that put on the show, I know it was a lot of work and much lack of sleep.
My Youngest showed 3 of her standard cochins (Joe Mazur Line) sorry if I spelt that wrong, in the open show against the adults. Her Black Cochin Pullet was Best Asiatic, Best Variety and Best of Breed. Her second pullet got 2 on her card (?), and her Cockerel had "Hocks?" written on his card.
She showed her other pair of Cochins in the junior class, the hen won Champion Large Fowl Junior. Her cockerel also had bad hocks..
She showed her call duck, she got Champion Bantam Duck and Reserve Champion Waterfowl, (of course she was the only bantam duck in the junior).

My oldest daughter showed her Silkie Hen in the junior class, she got Reserve Feather leg bantam Junior class. She also showed her Buff Duck, she got Champion Waterfowl, but was marked that she was a bit small, so we will have to work on that.
She showed in the Junior Showmanship Under 12 class and got Grand Champion in that, she was tickled pink with her trophy and standard of Perfection. Plus the little gift bag that judge Higgins made up for the kids.

Then Amy was off and about and entered into the bedazzeled class without me even knowing, she brought back a little feather topped trophy from that. Smile

And mom, well I showed my Australian Spotted Hen, she got Best of Breed/Best Variety, but was the only one in her class. I also showed my Welsh Harlequin Hen, she got Best of Breed/Best of Variety, but again was the only one in her class. Mr. Guinea, got a 1st for his efforts but was just not show worthy, Smile Poor guy.
My ameraucana's they did ok but didn't place. No competition against C-R Duck's Cockerel. Smile

We all learned alot from the show, wish I could have stuck around today and got the judge's comments on the birds but just too much to do and too far to come home.

Thank you all who put on the show, put their time and work into it, and for everyone else that entered. Hopefully we can get some more waterfowl in the medium and light categories to enter next year.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

2How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

Im glad you and the girls had a good time. That is what this is all about.

3How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

HIdden, I had to chuckle when you said your cochins were from the Joe Mazur line. I have seen Joe Mazur's name mentioned somewhere else on this forum and contacted someone (sorry, can't recall who) about him.

Many years ago when I first started keeping chickens I knew very little about them. Had a chicken get sick with some weird illness and called a neighbour who had birds and neighbour directed me to a dairy farmer who kept a few hens and was quite knowledgeable, his name was Joe Mazur.

A couple times over the following years when I had a chicken question I'd call this local fellow, whose number I still have in my address book under 'C' for chicken guy. He always patiently answered my questions, which usually started with, "hello is this Joe the chicken guy?" So when his name popped up I thoguht hmmm, that sounds familiar. THe person on this site I pmed to find out if this Joe Mazur was the same local Joe Mazur I phoned, said yes it was and he was more of a poultry guy who did dairy on the side than a dairy guy with poultry on the side.

It's a small world! It was Joe Mazur whom I spoke to when our one and only pet hen, the one the kid used to walk on a leash and take on toboggan rides, got some mysterious illness. He told me she had coryza and she would not recover and it never fails to be the favortie that dies first. He was right on all accounts. So it seems my go-to guy, whom I've never met, is pretty much a mucky muck in the chicken world. Wow, I've had a brush with fame. Good way to start the day.

***it was Cornel who told me that yes, Joe Mazur is a poultry/dairy man from Enderby. Thanks Cornel***

4How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:15 am

cornel

cornel
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yup Joe is the Man! he has some of the best cochins!

5How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:23 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

Congrats to you and your girls! It is hard when you go through the effort and there are no other birds in your class. I was very pleased to see so many spotteds in our last local show so I had a chance to learn from that. I even took Squeaky our spotted sussex, at least there was a rooster but that was it for them. At least the kids don't mind as much,lol!!

6How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden, I am so happy to hear about the successes of your children. This is what really instills a love to keep on keepin' on with kids. Praise, praise, praise and more praise. Those girls will be feelin' like shinin' stars and that is such a beautiful thing. Acknowledgement goes a long ways, and children remember the darndest things. Nice to hear of this (and of course Very Happy , adults thrive on this too).

Uno, that is a nice story to hear about Joe. I have never met him, but have seen him in every poultry show I have gone to in this area (only two, really), I have seen his black cochins, the large fowl, I like that, only noticed the large fowl of his, think he has bantam too... So nice that he was so willing to help you, so long ago....I remember your post about coryza...have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

7How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Joe and his son show in both Canada and United States. They do have bantam Cochins as well as Large Fowl Cochins. They have whites in addition to blacks. We showed a very young LF Black Cochin pullet here that went Best Junior at the North Thompson. We ended up with an extra rooster here if anybody is interested in getting into Joe Mazur Cochins.

8How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:Joe and his son show in both Canada and United States. They do have bantam Cochins as well as Large Fowl Cochins. They have whites in addition to blacks. We showed a very young LF Black Cochin pullet here that went Best Junior at the North Thompson. We ended up with an extra rooster here if anybody is interested in getting into Joe Mazur Cochins.

What are his hocks like? Both ours had Vulture Hock, looking for one without for breeding this spring...

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:06 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

As far as I can tell neither has vulture hock which seem to be a common problem with Black Cochins. I can post pictures of them if you wish. They have been shown with Heather as the judge and were not DQ'd for any faults.

Last edited by rosewood on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

10How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

It was a pleasure to meet you..

By the sounds and looks of things you and the family had a great time!

11How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:48 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I might be interested too in your boy. I have a standard black female thats done really well from the states. A few people have told me to contact joe for a husband for her. She was reserve asiatic to cynthia's blue gal at nationals and was BB, BV and champion asiatic at chilliwack fair in the summer at 4 1/2 months old ( heather judging).

My husband might kill me!!

Very Happy

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

12How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:40 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We ended up with an extra rooster here if anybody is interested in getting into Joe Mazur Cochins.

We have a pending sale for our extra Black Cochin rooster.

13How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:15 am

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Glad to see your girls hard work is paying off!

Us in the Open class better bump up our game as the Smith girls seem to collect lots of Ribbons!

Congrats to Hidden and her girls! You must be a proud mom.

14How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:50 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:
We ended up with an extra rooster here if anybody is interested in getting into Joe Mazur Cochins.

We have a pending sale for our extra Black Cochin rooster.

Would love to know who may be purchasing the rooster, smiling. I may want some offspring of that dude one day, smiling that big smile. Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

15How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:42 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

It was great seeing the Hidden River girls taking in all the activities being offered at the show. But I may need to borrow them when I begin setting up blue cochin breeding pens, or whenever have a genetics question! Unfortunately I missed the beginning of Tara's presentation, but your older daughter had a firm grasp on everything by the time I did get there. She is one quick study! study
Also enjoyed seeing their beautiful Cochins and other birds on display. Well done girls!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

16How we made out at Red Deer Empty Re: How we made out at Red Deer Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Would love to know who may be purchasing the rooster, smiling. I may want some offspring of that dude one day, smiling that big smile. Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM

I'll post who is buying the extra rooster, but I still have 2 roosters from different flocks and a pullet here. The person buying the Cochin rooster wants some BLRW hatching eggs so I may try to swap for some Black Cochin eggs in return. The cochins she bought from Joe Mazur turned out to be only pullets.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum