Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goat birthing kit

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Goat birthing kit Empty Goat birthing kit Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:50 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What should I have on hand before my goats begin kidding in mid-March?  I have done lots of reading, but that almost leaves me more clueless, so I thought it would be good to hear from actual people who have been- there-done-that.

So let me hear what everyone does to prepare for the big day.

2Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:31 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i have sheep-still small ruminants

some kind of antiseptic-just in case
gloves
lubricant
colostrum
bottle-i use an old soya sauce bottle
nipples-lamb nipples i guess
you could get a tube, and a big 60cc syringe. i use a urinary catheter (the one that does not have the vent) and that you can attach the syringe to..you can also use a suction catheter as long as you can get the syringe attached... then you can tube if you need
i have vit A &D..never used it
Selenium, i guess depending upon where you live..again, i have never given it
you could go all out and get tons of things.
a friend has a prolapse halter
you could get a lamb snare.. i don't know how typically easy goats are to lamb...
some use iodine for the navel- i dont
tags, if you are going to tag right away
banders for the boys if you are going to nip them right away spca rules are within 48 hours..or 4 days..can't remember which(you could look it up)
i give momma's grain the last 2 weeks of pregnancy and i usually will give grain later in the day they lamb.
you may need some home made electrolyte for the doe if they get toxemia

my list is done///Sweetened has goats-she may have more to add and others
have fun

3Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:51 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't currently have goats, but I have kidded goats before. We have cow/calf and most things are pretty universal.

In addition to what's already been listed ....

Milk replacer - we always have some on hand. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
Electrolytes
Surgical soap
Clean pail
Syringes and needles
Scissors
Scalpel handle and blades
Clean towels or blankets
Some way to provide heat to a small/sick kid or momma - heat lamp, sweeter heater, or a box with a heater in it

Put it all in a rubbermaid tub so it's easy to grab and have everything you need on hand.

Also, a charged cell phone and your vet on speed dial, of course.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:16 am

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

My kit is simple. It has most of the above that has been mentioned. I keep a lot of 3cc syringes on hand as I give each and every kid born .25cc of both Selenium and AD. I find if they are a bit wake on the get go that straightens them out shortly. If you have any born with splay legs (frog style back legs) the shots really help that. I don't splint any of my kids. I will give them some physio a few times a day and help their muscles learn to stand if they are really crooked (happens lots in the trips and up numbers) but I don't splint. One of my friends uses Popsicle sticks and vet wrap and has success but I don't see the point as they are usually good to go with my treatment about a week later.
You can PM me if you have any other questions. And if anything crazy happens at kidding feel free to call.

5Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:05 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It looks like I'd better make out my list and do some shopping. I looked back at my records and the first group is due Feb 28! Now I am excited and scared!

6Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Lol. Don't be scared!! What type of goats have you got? I have registered and commercial boers.

7Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:41 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Mostly they are boer. A few are possibly a Nubian or alpine boer cross. My buck is a beautiful boer boy I bought from Grandma Art.

This will be my first year of breeding anything other that cats, rabbits, chickens dogs or mice! Somehow this seems like so much more! I have 21 girls, some first timers, some not.

8Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Wow!! You have a good group size!!
I have been culling super heavy the past couple of years and I'm sure this year will be the same. I am kidding 12 this year. Down 8 from last year. 4 of them are first timers.
I backed my kidding off until April this year.
My buck is from Ontario. He is a pretty nice fellow. Big big big! Hoping he passes that along to his offspring.
Where is Diamond City?

9Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:16 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yeah, I am hoping we have not bitten off more than we can chew. I am afraid of things going wrong and losing my girls because we are ignorant newbies. I have read so many horror stories of what goes wrong with kidding  pale It freaks me out.

Diamond City is a LOOONNG way from you. We are south of Calgary near Lethbridge about an hour and a bit from the US border.

10Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Lol. Yep. Long long way for sure.

Well I was the same way. So worried the first year. Soon enough you will start to recognize the signs and pretty much predict when the kids will show within 2-3 hrs.

If you need any advice or help at all feel free to contact me. I can PM my number to you if you need to call. Our industry is sooooo small we all need to work together to ensure it stays strong. Smile good luck and hope to see pics of some of your kids!

11Goat birthing kit Empty Re: Goat birthing kit Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:18 am

Selenium/E,syringes/needles, powdered colostrum, a jug of homo cow milk/corn syrup, and a dehorning iron.. because we chose to disbud.
Have fun, you'll do fine. If not, sounds like you'll be ready to deal with it regardless. Gotta gain experience somehow, so embrace that. And don't judge your self if something goes against your hope. 
Once i fell off my horse for the first time.. i rode much better!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum