Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goat kid question

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Goat kid question Empty Goat kid question Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:54 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Over the last two weeks the goats kidding have completely taken over my life. I was having a blast with this despite being so busy until last night when I decided I should check the temperature of a pregnant doe I thought was in prolonged labour her temp was 105.1! Called the vet she diagnosed pneumonia and put her on penicillin. She's had one dose so far.

Problem is I have her in the barn and I have been having kids in that barn. One set of twins before she came in and two since. Now one of the kids born yesterday is breathing fast, making weird sucking sort of noises but has a temp of just 101.2. So I am thinking now that I am going to lose that kid and every single goat I have is going to come down with pneumonia now Sad

What to do...

2Goat kid question Empty Re: Goat kid question Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:45 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good luck with this. Unfortunately I have no advice for you. Hopefully the vet will help.

3Goat kid question Empty Re: Goat kid question Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:13 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not sure if your vet has it But I would give Nuflor it is fast acting and have always seen best results with that in adults and in kids

4Goat kid question Empty Re: Goat kid question Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:19 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wanted to add penicillin usually does not touch it
These are some of the other drugs that help tetracyclines, tylosin, Lincocin, Nuflor, and Spectagard

But I have found that Nuflor works the best and it is the fastest
Also Ventilation so they are not beathing the stale air in the barn beings they are confined.
This is my Opinion and what worked from past experiences
I am not a Vet but it is my advice

5Goat kid question Empty Re: Goat kid question Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I thought that goat temps range from 101 to 104 so 101 in the kid
would be normal?

6Goat kid question Empty Re: Goat kid question Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Today kid seems ok. I am thinking it was my panic attack blowing things out of proportion.

Anyhow, vet called back this morning and said get Nuflor. I spent he morning looking for a place to dispense it to me. They are all closed. Called vet back and she said they would leave some in a cubby hole outside their office for me. I went o get it and it is Resflor, but I believes he only difference is that this also contains an anti-inflammatory. Going to use it on the sick doe

Last edited by DCChick on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Auto correct hates me.)

7Goat kid question Empty Re: Goat kid question Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Resflor is the best in my opinion for the pneumonia. And BTW the kids won't get pneumonia from the doe unless the environmental factors that caused it in the doe also cause it in the kids (temp fluctuations are the worst!!!)

8Goat kid question Empty Re: Goat kid question Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ya, the kid seems fine.

The does temp went down to 101.4 by last night after the Resflor. She's till acts off thought, but I guess time will tell...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum