Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goat with cloudy eye

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Goat with cloudy eye Empty Goat with cloudy eye Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Tonight I notice that one of my goats has a cloudy eye. What could this be? Pink eye? How should I treat it? I have had her for a year now and she has always been a sweet but ugly girl ( skinny and unkempt looking) she was wormed well in the late summer/ early fall and hear eye linings have been looking OK, but I think I am going to worm her again just in case the eye thing is worm related.

Any suggestions? I don't want her to go blind. Also there is a chance she is pregnant although I doubt it since I think my buck was either too young or impotent. . .

2Goat with cloudy eye Empty Re: Goat with cloudy eye Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Could be an ulcer on the eye, caused by her getting something in there or rubbing the eye on something. We use special formula (the intramammary mediciation for mastitis) in their eye for 3 days and it usually helps. Sometimes you have to put an eye patch over their eye to help it heal, keep it clean and keep the sun out but most times we are successful in just the medication.
Could be other causes as well but I would try the medication if you can get it and see if it helps.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Goat with cloudy eye Empty Re: Goat with cloudy eye Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:44 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hidden River wrote:Could be an ulcer on the eye, caused by her getting something in there or rubbing the eye on something. We use special formula (the intramammary mediciation for mastitis) in their eye for 3 days and it usually helps. Sometimes you have to put an eye patch over their eye to help it heal, keep it clean and keep the sun out but most times we are successful in just the medication.
Could be other causes as well but I would try the medication if you can get it and see if it helps.

Shocked

What is that stuff and where would I get it?

4Goat with cloudy eye Empty Re: Goat with cloudy eye Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:00 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

When my goats got pink eye they were very light sensitive and the eye did get white in the middle. I mixed a weak solution of apple cider vinegar and water (so the water just barely changed colour) and sprayed it in the eye daily until it cleared up. I worm spring and fall. If there is a possibility of pregnancy, use Ivermectin. Only use Panacur if you are certain the goat isn't pregnant. I have had bucks as young as 3 or 4 months impregnate a doe. If she is looking ratty all the time give copper. Goats have a high copper requirement. I get an herbal copper/selenium supplement for the goats from Fir Meadow LLC by ordering online. The copper boosts the immune system and generally gives them a boost. Good luck.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

5Goat with cloudy eye Empty Re: Goat with cloudy eye Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:06 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

DCChick wrote:
Hidden River wrote:Could be an ulcer on the eye, caused by her getting something in there or rubbing the eye on something. We use special formula (the intramammary mediciation for mastitis) in their eye for 3 days and it usually helps. Sometimes you have to put an eye patch over their eye to help it heal, keep it clean and keep the sun out but most times we are successful in just the medication.

Shocked

What is that stuff and where would I get it?

You would have to get if from the vet, it is in a little tube and is an antibiotic.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum