Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Snakes and no pest strips

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Snakes and no pest strips Empty Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:00 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Horse Daughter recently moved into a mobile home formerly inhabited by Fred Flintstone.

IT has fleas. I have scars all over my ankles to prove this. I am highly reactive to flea bites.

I had a new No Pest strip here, intending to eventually use it in my hen house. I took it to the flea infested mobile and hung it in the living room, where the filthy little monsters are hiding in the carpet.

It only hung there about 2 days before horse daughter moved in and bought herself a pet snake.

Snakes aren't really pets. They don't come when you call them, they don't fetch balls, they don't roll over and play dead when you pretend to shoot them with your finger. They aren't even excited to see you when you come home and don't care when you leave. They eat once a week. Kind of sucky as a pet goes, but perfect for her!

However, I was uncertain of the effect that a No Pest strip would have on its little reptilian brain, so told her to remove the strip. SHe now has a snake AND fleas in her living room.

DOes anyone know the effect a No Pest strip might have on a snake? It's a four and a half foot long corn snake. SHe brought it to dinner with her the one and only time I invited her back home to dinner. We had a nice roast chicken dinner with a 4 foot snake in a bucket under the table. How Norman Rockwell of us.

2Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The snake will be fine. I had garter snakes and they got mites. I put a strip in the cage with them to exterminate the mites. It was the recommended treatment. Worked well, too.

3Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:22 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bravo! Nuke the snake! I'm all for it. Creepy thing.

4Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What is creepy about a wonderful little snake? I don't understand  Question 
Is it not better for her to bring over than the boyfriend?

5Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:35 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Uno, does she have carpet? Throw a bag of de on the carpet and cut it open/spread it around. This does work, I've seen it in a hoarders house we picked up from when I worked for simple house -- the landlord was using it to get rid of the fleas and mites in the rug. Leave it there for a day or so and vacuum it up. Do it again in a week to break the life cycle.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

6Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:58 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Auntieevil, it was a nightmare! She brought the snake AND the boyfriend! I thought I would have a stroke!

Sweetened, this is an interesting idea. Won't DE kill a vacuum cleaner? YEs, she has carpet, scented with the arresting aroma of cat pee.

I should have burned that place down.

7Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:03 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Moose said no pest strips can cause nuerological problems in reptiles. he said to use nix, like the shampoo for lice. dilute in water, he will find link for ratio, and you can soak the snakes in it as well as spray down the enclosure, and accessories.

maybe the de will wreck a vaccume, but I wouldn't think so if you go sloe and empty often. you could even reuse the same de you vacuum up.

8Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:14 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh my, a double whammy.
Too bad the no pest strips don't work on people!

9Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

auntieevil wrote:Oh my, a double whammy.  
Too bad the no pest strips don't work on people!

They probably would but you'd need a whole lot of them.

Dear Uno's Husband, Those squealing tires you just heard were Uno on her way to Canadian Tire.

10Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:56 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Snicker

11Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:09 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

People! Focus!

Sweetened, the No Pest strip is not for the snake. The snake, as far as I know, does not have mites nor apparently, a personality.

The No PEst strip is for the fleas that inhabit the livingroom. BUt since the snake is also kept in the livingroom, I was worried that a No PEst strip in the vicinity of the snake would cause a problem. But the strip and the snake will NOT share the same cage.

12Snakes and no pest strips Empty Re: Snakes and no pest strips Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 am

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sorry! Nix on the carpet? Or raid (RAAAAIIIID!??)

I still think de = good idea. I have read you can mix it into paint as well for painted surfaces. Food grade is white.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum