Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Study done on mite and pest control

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Study done on mite and pest control Empty Study done on mite and pest control Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:00 am

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have used ectiban for years in the house and the cabin and the coops here is a link to a study. These products are basicly the same but huge difference in price Ambush, Pounce, Ectiban [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://www.popscoops.com

2Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pretty much says it all, in a very short and quick way for surely. Good link, by the way....sure glad I have my ectiban, smiling. Have a great day, CynthiaM.

3Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:13 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Doesn't surprise me about the Sevin dusting powder. I have suspected for some time that it doesn't really do much.

I like to try this ectiban? Where can someone get it?

4Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:34 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

toybarons Syrvet Canada supplies it to retailers across Canada. Here is a list of some of those retailers that carry it or can get it in for you:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

According to CynthiaM, it should be even more readily available. She posted info on it (her last one) on my thread about mites.

Pops-thanks so much for doing the footwork for so many of us.

5Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:49 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My only discomfort in reading it and what the label apparently says on the Ectiban bottle, is that it does not mention the *&^% Red mite.

6Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:My only discomfort in reading it and what the label apparently says on the Ectiban bottle, is that it does not mention the *&^% Red mite.

Still worth a try Chicory.

7Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:00 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks CS. It arrives on the bus tomorrow. It would just help my stress a bit here if I knew it worked for the Red ones as well.

8Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:09 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:toybarons Syrvet Canada supplies it to retailers across Canada. Here is a list of some of those retailers that carry it or can get it in for you:

According to CynthiaM, it should be even more readily available. She posted info on it (her last one) on my thread about mites.

Pops-thanks so much for doing the footwork for so many of us.

Thanks.

If you click on this link you can read what this product does for chickens.

While it does kill NF MItes it does not say Red Mites. But I agree with Coopslave that it can't hurt to try it.

9Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chicory, maybe you have this super hybridised mite that is the ultimate mite cross!! Laughing
Maybe they will name it after you and you will be famous for discovering it!

The Chicory Mite, tougher than old boots and harder to get rid of than visiting inlaws!

10Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'd be honoured. NOT!

Also used a blow torch in the cracks and crevices yesterday - the size plumbers use. Would highly recommend it. Not nearly as dangerous as we thought. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it once one has mites.

11Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:I'd be honoured. NOT!

Also used a blow torch in the cracks and crevices yesterday - the size plumbers use. Would highly recommend it. Not nearly as dangerous as we thought. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it once one has mites.

Now that IS hardcore mite control.

I am looking for a product for use directly on poultry.
Dusting Powder, as far as I am concerned, is terrible to use and has minimum effect.

From my own research I am learning, in frustration, that while there are products I would LOVE to try, products that you can use both directly on the bird as well as the coop, NONE are approved for use in Canada and thus unavailable.
What is for use here like the Ectiban 25 Fly Killer, is not for use on the animal or bird.

I am finding though that some products meant for use on cats and horses have the same chemicals as a product I used for cage birds which I have used on chickens with excellent results.
Most of these have Pyrethrins and Piperonyl Butoxide.
Some may also contain Permethrin which is toxic to cats if ingested.

My search continues....

12Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:07 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ectiban can be used directly on bird toybarons. I just learned that this morning when I spoke to the retailer who is shipping to me by bus. I asked him the application procedure for the coops and he also read how to treat the bird with it. I didn't pay much attention to that part as I'm doing the ivomec orally right now.

ANd yes, I'm desperate to rid my birds and coops of them so the blow torch it is. It is a bad infestation that I see death of the birds and burning of the coops as the only other option. Sounds dramatic but that's what I'm dealing with here. Crying or Very sad

Back to cleaning coops.

13Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:56 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

The post the ChicoryFarm initiated, which began this topic had some very useful information in it about Ectiban 25. I had typed out the instructions from my bottle of it. I will re-insert the information so that it can be more easily understood. It is a pretty safe product to use if farms are readily using it in their MILKING PARLOURS and other places. It would not be allowed, if there was some horrible side effect. Right? Wrong? I think right. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Ectiban 25 fly killer
Directions for use: Residual premise spray: for milking parlours and holding rooms, poultry houses, stables, swine and livestock housing to control fleas and stable.
Dilute sprayer – dilute 20 ml of ecitban 25 with 2.5 lt of water and apply to 100 m squared of structural surface.
Electric mist sprayer, dilute 20 ml of ecitban 25 with 75 ml, diesel oil or water for each 100 m squared to be sprayed. Direct spray at surface from a distance of 2 to 2.4 meters while spraying. WHERE A CARTRIDGE OR DUST MASK TO AVOID BREATHING SPRAY MIST. Regular. Remove animals before spraying and leave an hour interval before re-entry.
The use of any residual fly spray should be supplemented with proper sanitation including eliminatation of fly breeding sites. Do not apply the above spray mixes directly to animals or poultry. Follow directions below for direct application for livestock and poultry. Do not spray where food or feed products are present. Do not apply as a space treatment. Do not contaminate milk or milk handling equipment. In dairies apply when not in operation. Thoroughly clean all milk utensils before resuming operations.
Poultry: Northern fowl mites, rate:200 ml with 100 litres (20 ml to 10 litres) of water in a sprayer. Apply 4 litres of spray mix to each 100 birds. Spray from below to ensure thorough treatment of vent area. Do not slaughter within 7 days of treatment.

post involved that initiated this thread from PopsCoops
Read post #10 in this thread

14Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:27 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:Ectiban can be used directly on bird toybarons. I just learned that this morning when I spoke to the retailer who is shipping to me by bus. I asked him the application procedure for the coops and he also read how to treat the bird with it. I didn't pay much attention to that part as I'm doing the ivomec orally right now.

ANd yes, I'm desperate to rid my birds and coops of them so the blow torch it is. It is a bad infestation that I see death of the birds and burning of the coops as the only other option. Sounds dramatic but that's what I'm dealing with here. Crying or Very sad

Back to cleaning coops.

Thanks further. I can understand your desperation as I have been following your threads. I fully know where you are coming from cause for months I was flipping out myself over the same problem. I have finally been able to get mine managed. I hope you will be able to do the same.

15Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:29 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM ~ Many thanks. It is appreciate it.

16Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:40 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

No need to burn buildings and destroy flocks Ectiban and the other same products do kill all the mites, I have never had mites and I credit that to ectiban and the other measures I use. With the oral Ivomec you will also look after internal and external including leg mites.

http://www.popscoops.com

17Study done on mite and pest control Empty Re: Study done on mite and pest control Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:46 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I used the Ivomec pour on and it's wonderful. I do my flocks in late fall and my winter is bug free. Birds with feathered legs that were stripped of their leg feathers due to scaly mites are a thing of the past. Wonderful stuff.

What do you each think? Why is it you can find products like Scalex readily available in the USA which can be used both on the bird and on the coop YET here in Canada we have literally nothing other than product approved only for use on coops?
Do you think it has something to do with poultry's meat and eggs being consumed that here in Canada they don't want insecticides used on birds?
I just think it's odd as the same products are generally okayed for cattle and swine?

I would like to hear thoughts on this as it is most frustrating thing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum