Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goats and No Pest Strips?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:58 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Hi all Smile So I have Pygmy goats. At the moment I have lots of them. 9 babies, 7 mamas, 2 yearling does and a wether and a buck. That makes...a lot of goats. 20 Actually. WOW. Goos thing they are small and cute and no trouble.
Anyways I have been using Ivermectin pour on for mites/lice. It doesnt seem to work and the babies are scratching like crazy. Rather than go through every individual goat and figure out weights and dosages agian...and have it not work again...what do you think about hanging a No Pest Strip up like people do for chickens with mites. Woudl it work for lice and mites on goats? They are in a really large well ventilated barn. I really doubt that it would hurt them, but no sense pollutng my barn with chemiclas if there is no chance it will work either. WHen I say large barn I mean a 35X45 long barn with 16 foot celings. I may need to hang a few in there for it to have any affect on anything.

Jaclyn

2Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:24 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Unbelievable amount you would have to hang ( one for every 400 sq feet or less, best bet is Ivomec.

http://www.popscoops.com

3Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 pm

No pest strips emit insecticide which you would be subjected to as well as every critter in the barn and the mites or lice may not be killed. Last winter one of my pygmy goats was greatly troubled by burrowing mites. Ivomectin did nothing for her. I did a lot of research and finally settled on Valbazen, as long as there was no chance of pregnancy, otherwise I use Safeguard and the powder that comes in the white can with the red writing, both applications 10 days appart. For that particular goat, I also did a third application in the next 10 days. She was the only goat that terribly affected, so I figured she must have been deficient somehow and finally sourced goat minerals specifically for this area. It took a long time to heal and rid of the mites and the treatment had to be repeated because they obviously were somewhere that was re infesting her.
Good luck with that.

4Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:05 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Have a look for some Cydectin. I am suprised it is not used more.

5Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:03 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

For mites and lice beings the ivomec is not working for you
I always used the dust and it worked great

Coopslave
Cydectin should not be used as a pour on for goats
believe it or not it is used as a oral wormer and is one of the best on the market now for goats even tho it is a pour on it can be given oral

6Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:13 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Appway, it comes in pour on, injectable or oral.

They like it in Australia because it doesn't impact the dung beetles. Canada is the only place it seems to have with holding periods most other countries it is nil.

It is great product for birds too.

7Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Coopslave
I stand Corrected as I did not know they now have it in injectable and oral
When I used it all they had was the pour on
and that would cause a reaction in the goats but using the pour on for a oral wormer is the best.

I still say DUst them good and that shoud really help

8Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:24 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Im sorry...but what should I dust them with?

9Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:43 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

we always used the regular dusting powder
they have it at peavy mart tall white can with black lettering and has a red spot on it that says dusting powder with animals on it it is 1kg for 12.99
it is the one with 5% carbaryl

10Goats and No Pest Strips? Empty Re: Goats and No Pest Strips? Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:04 pm

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Thank you. We only have a small feed store that carries pretty much nothing but food, so I will likely need to order form out of town anything that I want. Thanks again though. I will look into all this good info Smile

Jaclyn

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum