Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

rooster crow vs goose honk

+4
Ruffledfeathers
auntieevil
Fowler
uno
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1rooster crow vs goose honk Empty rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:41 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am newish to waterfowl, have  2 Pilgrim geese.

At night, all night long, the roosters crow over everything and anything. You sort of learn to tune them out. I don't panic very much when a rooster crows in the middle of the night. However, if I hear a HEN in the middle of the night, I panic!

I am finding it's the same with the geese. The geese are silent at night, unlike the roosters, they do not randomly honk. However, if anything is moving around (deer, moose, elk, racoon, coyote, bobcat, bear to name a few) they let out the most Gordon awful racket.

Is it correct that geese are silent at night unless something unusual is in the neighbourhood? Or are mine just exceptionally quiet? As it is now, if I ever hear them at night it's so unusual that I react immediately.

Are all geese mainly quiet at night?

2rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:21 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

We had a goose in the freezer once. It was very quiet.

Don't know if all geese are quiet at night but they are reputed to be good guard animals.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:37 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Are there smaller varieties of geese that make good guard animals? I was thinking of getting a couple Guinea fowl for the same reason, not to attack, but to sound the alarm.

4rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:06 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a pilgrim goose once and he was very protective of his flock. Funny cause they were all boys. He was extremely curious though, he would come and check out new people that came on the property. He would stand at the back screen door and make sure everything was cool. He was forever nattering quietly as he wandered around.

Be very aware that Guineas are chatters they talk about everything like its an alarm or at least mine did. That's pretty much why I sold mine to much chatter.

5rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:21 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My geese are quiet at night unless something is amiss. However, what they consider to be an issue is not always what I consider to be a issue.

6rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I thought this thread was going to be a continuation of "what does the fox say"... Smile

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

7rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:34 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I recently got a pair of pilgrim geese too! I am finding the same thing you are. They are very quiet at night. I am very thankful of that. I cant wait til the spring though. I am curious if they are going to remain quiet when the candian geese come through and land in the pastures.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

8rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:54 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pfarms, until I had geese I had no idea of the VOLUME they could achieve! FOr this I am especially happy that they are mostly quiet at night. BUt unlike a rooster, whose crowing you sort of expect and tune out, the GRONK of an alarmed goose cannot be ignored! I feel bad for the people who are about to move in next door, they are in for such a rude awakening, literally.

9rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:07 am

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

LOL! I knew what they sounded like, as I had them as kids, so when I brought them home, I put them in a temporary pen next to my in laws house as the quarantine area LOL! If I want mine to make a sound, I send the kids over to the run they are in. Yes, I know. I am a mean ol' witch. Oh well. But I find the sound, although alarming at first, to be comforting. As they do make good watch dogs of sorts. I know that nothing will come around without them letting me know.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

10rooster crow vs goose honk Empty Re: rooster crow vs goose honk Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes mine are mostly quiet except when something is new or alarming for them, early morning mating sessions are annoying because they are not quiet then and seeing ducks or chickens mating also gets them honking Evil or Very Mad  When I call them they come a flying and honking all the way to let me know they're on the way for whatever good stuff I have for them Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum