Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

goose down

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1goose down Empty goose down Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:14 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My oldest son has decided to attempt to custom
make a sleeping bag.
He is looking for goose down.
Does anyone with geese save down when
they butcher and what would about 2 lbs cost?

2goose down Empty Re: goose down Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:54 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I make down comforters. Your best source of down is old jackets from thrift stores. Wash the jacket, remove clumps o feathers and place them in their new home, sew up and dry. This is the neatest procedure I know.

3goose down Empty Re: goose down Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:I make down comforters.  Your best source of down is old jackets from thrift stores.  Wash the jacket, remove clumps o feathers and place them in their new home, sew up and dry.  This is the neatest procedure I know.
what a great idea Sue! what size do you make the "new home" compartments?

4goose down Empty Re: goose down Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't make compartments. Every time you stitch through the ticking you have made a hole where the cold air can get through. If I am cheap and lazy I will tack the ticking together with many small circles of sewing then stuff the bag, sew it shut and dry. You can also make long tubes. However, the warmest is a double thickness quilt. When i am not cheap and have plenty if time i do it this way. Essentially two quilts sewn together at the edges. This way not a single stitch goes through the ticking to the other side and maximum insulation is reached.

5goose down Empty Re: goose down Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

wow Sue. That's some quilt. I am beginning to wonder what other secret and interesting talents you have up your sleeve.

6goose down Empty Re: goose down Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:10 am

boothcreek

I just gave most of our down away. But I don't think I had even 2 lbs from 4 geese.

http://www.boothcreekranch.com

7goose down Empty Re: goose down Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan wrote:wow Sue.  That's some quilt.  I am beginning to wonder what other secret and interesting talents you have up your sleeve.  
I am sure the whole truth will come out some time soon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum