Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How did you choose to spend the first day of 2014?

+11
Farmer Bob
Ruffledfeathers
uno
IzzyD
Karaandblue
smokyriver
rosewood
newbe enthusiast
authenticfarm
coopslave
Echo 1
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just curious how you spent the first day of the brand new year? We did chores (duh!) had brunch created by our wonderful daughter and then just for a good time, because I am adventurous, daughter and I stripped and re-bedded the main coop. Oh those happy HAPPY Orpingtons....who wouldn't love a clean fluffy bed of shavings, peatmoss and straw? I almost wanted to take a nap there myself. Hubby finished the feed storage shed so I can now buy my feed in larger volumes and know the rodents can't get it. We have been loyal Buckerfields customers for years but Total Pet carries the Surecrop line of feeds, they are less per bag to start with and they give you a 10% discount for buying 10 bags at a time. With 8 horses and 30 chickens calculations say I will save between $50 and $60 a month!

Money Throw 

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Being bored out of my mind. Hubby was offered the day off, but said he would go in to help feed and be home early so he could have some time on Friday to do some stuff in town.
It is 6 here and he is still not home. So much for a short day on a holiday to just help things get done quicker.
So did house work, watched some netflicks and now I am bored!

That's a great tip about Total Pet!  I'm going to check my local store tomorrow.  Smile

I did chores too, including finding a solution to poopy waterers, which I'm really happy about.  I just hung it from the rafter on a chain.  DUH!! 

I started up a couple of motorcycles, played with dogs in the snow, surfed the net, stripped duck bones to make pot pie tomorrow.  Totally lazy day - I even bailed out on a breakfast invitation because I didn't want to leave the farm.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Had my niece here until early afternoon, so I supervised the big kids playing with the little kid, checked on the chickens a few times, started working on my 4-H Poultry Project stuff. Nothing too stressful.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

newbe enthusiast

newbe enthusiast

I slipped on the ice on monday and got 7 stitches in my knee. I am under strict instructions to not bend it for fear of tearing out my embroidery. To say I am bored is an understatement.
I have been cruising the internet all day. Read a book, can't go watch a movie as the only TV is down stairs.
Kinda nice though... learning a lot about chickens.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We spent a quiet day here.  The gkids did a lot of the chores today.  Seeing as it is a mild winter at present I skipped splitting wood for the stove after splitting an extra amount a couple days ago.  I watched the last 2 periods of the winter classic and will watch a Canuck game this evening.  I may be making up for a day off tomorrow as we have a snowfall advisory for tonight-more snow plowing tomorrow. Our local feed store gives a deduction for purchasing 10 bags of Sure Crop feed or more. We buy much of our feed in tote bags.

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was up early, waited for a fellow with police dogs to show up to search for my dog, loaded hubby and 2 of my sons to run them to the airport. (They are picking up a different vehicle for me in Calgary) came home, went and picked up some chickens, back home to get the news that the fellow could not find my dog Sad. That was about my day

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Spent the day doing chores - went to town and rode at the arena. Nothing like a nice ride to make the start of the year awesome. Then spent a couple hours with my handsome young godson and my BFF now playing with my pooches. Life is grand.

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

And I'm keeping your dog in my thoughts smokyriver. I would be sad sad if I lost mine. Hope you find him/her soon.

Last edited by Karaandblue on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Double post)

I hope you find your dog Smokyriver.  Sad

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks guys but he has been missing 3 days now so not looking good, but there is always a chance he will come home!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

IzzyD

IzzyD

When my hubby was a boy they had a dog come back after a whole winter.
Hope yours come back Sad

Today I puttered in the house and barn, it's nice to get caught up on things after the holidays.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Today we did something we practically never do. Wasted a perfectly good day watching a movie! Went over to friend's house where she put out a wonderful spread of buns, cheese, meats, veggies and dip, cookies and butter tarts. We loaded our plates then settled in to watch REDS #2. Good show. There was house cleaning and a bathroom renovation underway here, but we just downed tools, as they say, and lit out to be lazy. IT was great.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

We hoe chucked
split firewood
played with dogs
loved chickens
walked ducks

now sitting here in some pain, waiting for dinner to finish cooking. What an amazingly average first day of 2014

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We went snow shoeing today. Which is probably a little odd...because we have all of 4 inches of snow...but none the less!

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ruffledfeathers...how do you walk ducks?

Last edited by Echo 1 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Stayed in bed playing with the hubby till noon. Hot shower, hot coffee and watched TV till about 3. Then hubby went out to clear the driveway & check the coops while I did the birds we have inside the house. Finished off the evening by watching tv with our roos. I love a good roo cuddle  Smile 

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Echo 1 wrote:Ruffledfeathers...how do you walk ducks?

Well you leave the door open and then you come back to find them 30ft down the path and so start walking them back in and shut the door for the night.

Okay Farmer bob how dare you swear at us like that!

...because we have all of 4 inches of snow...

Its snowing here again. We just finished moving at least 3ft of snow. Oh piles look like they did when we used to live in the Stewart area back in the day.

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Slept. Milked a cow, fed the birds and... slept more.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Just vegged out, watched TV, made snacks, no full meal. Went to bed early. Lovely day. Smile

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Total Pet discount on 10 bags of COB brought the price of each bag to $9.80. Two days ago I bought a single bag of COB at Buckerfields and paid $14.99 plus GST! TP did not charge GST. Their grain is less per bag to start with and then the discount..... To be fair Buckerfields does have a discount for multiple bags but it is very little. I never buy enough bags at buckerfields to get their discount. The way I see it...I saved 50$ on my grain today. My chicken crazy daughter has also saved on her layer crumble/pellet. Delighted to have the storage for it all! Only down side.....Grain storage shed would have made a wonderful coop for the bantam Chocolate Orpingtons I want so badly!

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's 2014????

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you having trouble making the change heda Wink

Sponsored content