Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So many sales! How do I choose?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1So many sales!  How do I choose? Empty So many sales! How do I choose? Sat May 05, 2012 11:44 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

We are lucky in Alberta to have a plethora of sales! I was discussing with a couple chickeny friends how I decided to choose the sales and auctions that I plan to attend this spring.

Of course distance is extremely important. Too much driving is not something I have the time to consider these days.

Timing is important. Many shows conflict with my non-chicken schedule, so those are certainly out.

It is important to me to go where I know people. There are so many lovely chicken people in this country that I am not above mixing business with pleasure.

Sale attendance and advertising is also extremely important.

Finally, there is one more factor that I like to consider when attending a sale. I like to support sales that also support me. I am talking about sales that are run by clubs and non profit groups where the proceeds of the sale go back into the club. Why is this so important? Because these clubs also hold the events that I like to attend as a chicken fancier. You know, the seminars and shows. The way I see it, attending these sales helps to support those costly events that need the fundraising achieved by holding sales. So when I plan which sales I would like to attend in the spring, I always include events like the POPWA auction and the CHB sale in addition to the private sales so I can support the clubs that further the fancy!

2So many sales!  How do I choose? Empty Re: So many sales! How do I choose? Sat May 05, 2012 7:47 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

For the past few years we have been putting on these sales and events out of our own pockets and we are definitely not making any money doing it., We wanted to offer more to the poultry and small livestock fanciers, but this sale is more than just a way of raising money to bring in speakers, judges, rent venues etc for the poultry fanciers. This sale we are also trying to seriously develop a venue for top quality birds and small livestock (rumour has it we are expecting some really good sheep and goats also). It is easy to buy/sell at an auction, but it is hard to connect face to face. We are doing our best to connect sellers of quality birds with people looking to buy quality birds.
We are also offering a great get together after, Pot Luck supper!!! Networking and fellowship are all part of it.

3So many sales!  How do I choose? Empty Re: So many sales! How do I choose? Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great Topic
Sue you bring up some great points...
I know I won't be able to attend all the poultry sales as there never seems to be enough hours in a day on the farm plus working as a great many of us do. So the sale/s I go to need to give the best bang for my buck...
So the Venue, Distance, Potential Buyers, Supporting Organizations, Advertising all are heavy in my choices this year...
Plus I want to see as many of my Poultry friends at the sales/events.

Will be some tough choices to make on which sale to attend...

4So many sales!  How do I choose? Empty Re: So many sales! How do I choose? Sat May 05, 2012 9:31 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with you Sue on all of those points. I will make it a priority each year to attend the CHB Market Sale and POPWA auction. I don't think I'll have enough extra birds to sell at any other venues this season, and I think my buying is finished for this year too. It is nice to see the interest is out there with so many sales in the area, but its just too hard to make it to them all!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

5So many sales!  How do I choose? Empty Re: So many sales! How do I choose? Sat May 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:I agree with you Sue on all of those points. I will make it a priority each year to attend the CHB Market Sale and POPWA auction. I don't think I'll have enough extra birds to sell at any other venues this season, and I think my buying is finished for this year too. It is nice to see the interest is out there with so many sales in the area, but its just too hard to make it to them all!

KathyS, a little bird has told me that even if you are are at your "bird equilibrium" there is still an oppoortunity to support CHB by donating a bird or three to a silent auction at the sale!

6So many sales!  How do I choose? Empty Re: So many sales! How do I choose? Sun May 06, 2012 9:12 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Owch! I feel my arm being twisted! Laughing
Yes, I think I can keep back a nice pair of young Buff Orps to put in the silent auction. 90% of Orp requests have been from people wanting only pullets, so I can part with a good young cockerel and nice pullet to keep him company.
You CHB people do such a wonderful job putting on these events for us chicken fanciers...I am happy to have an opportunity to give something back.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

7So many sales!  How do I choose? Empty Re: So many sales! How do I choose? Sun May 06, 2012 4:58 pm

Well, I've made my choice. I'm going to support the sales and seminars like CHB and Three Hens put on, and of course the Glen Park sale. I feel I have a better chance of paying a fair price and getting a fair price. I enjoy auctions, however, they are a form of gambling and after losing mine and my firstborns shirt at one I would rather give my stock to someone I actually know and like.
Also, the non profit aspect counts with me too. The Glen Park sale is a privately sponsored event, but the hall itself is a non profit community organization. Having a sale there helps preserve a bit of our heritage and the community here welcomes the event and those who wish to participate.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum