Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

blue laced barnevelders

+2
Dan Smith
vic's chicks
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1blue laced barnevelders Empty blue laced barnevelders Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm

vic's chicks

Does anyone know anything a bout these birds Are there any in canada. We love our barnies and these are stunning. I would love to have some of this colour.

2blue laced barnevelders Empty Re: blue laced barnevelders Sat May 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If anybody has them I am sure that pvg would know. get a hold of Piet and he will let you know what your chances are.

3blue laced barnevelders Empty Sat May 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I heard that a lady in the states has some, but still work in progress. In holland the best ones are always the brown double laced, very hard to get the same brilliant crisp lacing on the blues, but very striking if you see one that does have it.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

4blue laced barnevelders Empty I'm working on it! Sun May 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

I LOVE my Barnevelders! This is not a simple yes answer...After researching for ages, lots of conversations with a couple US breeders and Coopslave (she had some in Australia) I started the project. I selected generation 1 Barnevelders for closest to standard and double laced only. Based on my research I hunted around for a male with the best genetic profile for the new line. I found him but he was just a wee chick so many more months before he was ready for the project. Our first chicks were born April 16th.

My husband and I were hesitant to publicly share our project until it was done but we reconsidered for two reasons; it isn't always wise to work in a vaccuum and we are excited and pleased with F1. We won't be selling any until we are getting 100 % double lacing. The final colours will be the regular double laced, blue double laced, and silver double laced.

Coopslave gave me a perfect idea for the F2 cockeral and then every generation after that will be bred back to pure double laced barnevelders.

If the hens are willing we will work on the project year round. Even with that, it is quite possible someone will import them from the States before we are ready to sell eggs and chicks. Oh well! Just a year ago there were no Blue Isbars, Brabanters, Cream Leg Bars and now there are some!

5blue laced barnevelders Empty Re: blue laced barnevelders Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 pm

vic's chicks

. It will be fun to watch your progress.

6blue laced barnevelders Empty Re: blue laced barnevelders Mon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I also look forward to when you are ready to share some pictures and more info with us!

7blue laced barnevelders Empty Re: blue laced barnevelders Tue May 21, 2013 7:55 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ Same here. Sounds like a very interesting project. Smile

8blue laced barnevelders Empty Photo of a cockeral Sun May 26, 2013 1:26 am

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

I tried to post a photo but I seem to have difficulty getting the size right and the photo gets cut. Here is a young boy. As you can see his lacing is incomplete and isn't double.
My best pullets have a parital double blue lacing. I'll see if I can fight with the photo upload and post those photos...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9blue laced barnevelders Empty Re: blue laced barnevelders Sun May 26, 2013 6:17 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Micah and Kiah wrote:I tried to post a photo but I seem to have difficulty getting the size right and the photo gets cut. Here is a young boy. As you can see his lacing is incomplete and isn't double.
My best pullets have a parital double blue lacing. I'll see if I can fight with the photo upload and post those photos...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
wondering how you are trying to make these colors? Also, did you not just start into chickens for the first time a year ago? Very difficult task and please show the result when you think they are finished. The silvers as you said you are creating also are also recognized in Holland and it took 9 years to develop. Bert made them and he bred Barnevelders for 20 years before he took on that challange. He raised about 500 birds per year in order to have enough selection for the next step.

10blue laced barnevelders Empty HMMMM Mon May 27, 2013 8:39 pm

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

Piet;

I have been researching Barnevelders for longer than I have had chickens. As I wrote previously, I have gotten great advice from experienced people. I have some knowledge of genetics and worked to check and triple checked what I could accomplish with the right chickens. I can't comment on why others chose to work on similar projects with large numbers of birds or over longer periods of time, I am not them.

Actually, I started writing a detailed reply to you and felt like I had to defend myself for starting a tough project at this point of my experience with poultry. It made me feel angry.

You know what? I don't need to defend my choice to start with a project like this as a newbie. I think I have as much right as anyone to work one something I find beautiful. I am having fun and am creating something I am really enjoying.

If anyone would like to see photos as the generations develop I'd be happy to share them. Helpful, kind advice is always welcome.

11blue laced barnevelders Empty Re: blue laced barnevelders Mon May 27, 2013 8:57 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Everybody started somewhere. I think Piet was just trying to tell you that the road will be long, but I get the impression you know that already.
Took me almost 6 years to really make any headway, but I learned a ton on the ride. You really get to know your birds and your breeds when you take something like this on. Try not to get discouraged and get some of your early birds out to some people you trust so if you make a mistake and want to back track there are some available.
Look forward to watching your journey.

Oh, meant to say, remember you don't want double lacing on the males, just the females. Go back and have a look at some more male birds and just think blue where the black is.

12blue laced barnevelders Empty Re: blue laced barnevelders Mon May 27, 2013 9:31 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey all the power to ya! Its great that you are trying to work with those colors. I am always critical and especially about the breeds i know and raise myself too. I have not seen good Barnevelder here yet and to hear that people are working on new colors, that must mean they have very good stock to begin with. The only thing worrying me is that birds are being sold as such and really they are not that. In a couple years you simply cannot make a worthy blue double laced barnevelder from scratch. Sooo, show us the progress and results before selling them. Do you speak Dutch? Most info out on the internet is in Dutch only. The Barnevelder club in the usa does not exist anymore and the only specific barnevelder hardcover book "de Barnevelder" is in Dutch with only a short english summary. I have a couple books here at home.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum