Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What kind of outside hoses do you guys have?

+5
rosewood
pfarms
Karaandblue
authenticfarm
bigrock
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am on the search for a GOOD winter hose. It has to be rubber, and it has to be thick enough that it does not kink No 
I have bought one of the ranch hoses-it is red with white ends...kinked so badly..i cursed so many times that i finally just bunched it back up into a maze of kinks and returned it to the store.

Then got another one last week....also pretty kinky (not) and i thought...oh this one will be ok once it is stored in a larger diameter than a foot!,....but it has another problem. I drained it 3 times, and when i went to use it, it was frozen in the channel....so small that it won't drain effectively..
So, now i must bring it in, clean it up, and take it back (that one was 100.00) 100 ft hose.

So, now i am again on the hunt.
Any brands, or places you got your perfect hose that i need to know?
I am after the perfect hose...   study 
i don't care how much it costs..... Money Throw because i am after the perfect hose

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Underground lines and automatic waterers. Smile

I carry water from the house for the chickens. 15 chickens and the barn cats go through 4L a day, so I just use a milk jug and top them up daily.

We used to pump water twice daily for the cows. They had their own well, with it's own pump and a large semi-rigid black water pipe coming out of the well. Plug pump in, wait for massive tank to fill, unplug pump, and any water left in the pipe would drain backwards into the well. While it was filling, it was time to chop wood, start a fire in the old water heater inside the stock tank, then stoke it up with coal to keep the water defrosted as long as possible. If you were lucky and it was a good batch of coal, it would still be going when you nect came back to pump water. If not, it was chopping ice and starting all over again.

We've made some improvements since those days.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

I built all my animal pens to end at the hydrant. My stock waterer is there and I use a washing machine water supply hose to fill the tank. Take it off after I'm done and drain. I find this the easiest.
The hens get 1/4 pail of water a day hauled by hand. Everyone seems happy and is satiated thirst wise Smile
If you can trench some lines in I would highly suggest it Smile easier then those dang hoses - that I curse at even without the winter.

pfarms

pfarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We use black rubber hoses. We have used several brands of them. I just watch the description of them, some are good to -10 C for flexibility and some of the others are good til -30C for flexibility. There is a brand that is called Neverkink. I havent used it, but it is sold at homedepot. There is a rubbermade brand at Sear's we have used. Just be sure to unscrew it from the spigot, drain it, and you will be good. We water down a slight incline. So we just unscrew ours, lift it in the air and hang one end over a hook and leave it laying on the ground down the hill. This works til it hits -40C or so. Then I have to actually roll it up and put it in the barn.

http://dtfarm.webs.com/

I have a similar answer to Pfarms. I've got a very heavy-duty black rubber hose that I don't know the brand, but I've had it since I moved here. I also keep it on a slight incline if/when I need to use it, and just detach it from the hydrant and let it drain right after I use it. There does come a time though when I roll it up and put it away because the snow just keeps covering it up and eventually it gets stuck and I can't move it anymore. So I have it rolled up now.

Bigrock you are very welcome to come see/touch/heft this hose. It's very heavy and never kinks. Or if it has, it recovered perfectly because it doesn't have any 'kink scars' like other cheaper hoses have.

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use hoses from Costco. They are not suppose to kink, but if abused the plastic strip that is there to prevent kinking will break. I drain them twice on the driveway which slopes and a third time as I hang them along the fence. I have had some hoses break when it is very cold although I have yet to break one from Costco. I don't use hoses that are less than 5/8 inch diameter and I separate the hoses if I'm using more than one to reach the watering trough. I haul buckets of water for the chickens. Some day the electricity and water line will go to the chicken coops and the pasture. Lee Valley has hoses that use heat tape, but need a grounded electrical outlet-http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,2280,33160&p=64795

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use a 5 gallon bucket in the winter, not fun but my hoses freeze solid in the winter.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Me too, once things get really cold I just can't drain them fast enough. I have some very short lengths - 6-8 feet that I use from the hydrant to reach the pigs and geese, they drain even on the coldest day just by being held upright. Otherwise it is the buckets.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am with PC I use 5 gal buckets in the winter time. I haul over 10 buckets a day to fill sheep waters, birds and horse. It is time consuming and labour intensive but the hoses would be more work for all the distance I have between pens in the winter.
I do have 1 rubber black hose I use to refill the horse/sheep water when I clean them out every couple weeks, but I try to do that on a day that is above -20 if possible, and roll up the hose and put it in the shop where it is heated when I am done.

There are heated hoses you can buy, they are expensive but they stay thawed out to -30 I believe but only work if you have power near your water source.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have the Costco grey commercial hoses that haven't kinked yet. Stiff but still moveable. I have been eye ballin the heated hoses that are good to -30.

Other than that I pack water as well. 8 pails in the morning 8 at night. I tell myself its good exercise  Rolling Eyes  so far its working.

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The most recent hose that i got ...the 100.00 one was supposedly good til -40...but it isn't..
Farmchiq..i might take you up on the scoping of your hose...will give you a call next weekend...
I was thinking perhaps buckerfields would have a good one..
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum