Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What kind of Straw?

+2
Arcticsun
DCChick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What kind of Straw? Empty What kind of Straw? Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am soon going to need straw for winter bedding and am just wondering what's best. Is there any that breaks down slower? Is warmer?

2What kind of Straw? Empty Re: What kind of Straw? Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:32 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I prefer wheat straw.
It should be long and rather hard, almost like chopsticks. This will keep it's loft and warmth holding properties.

Barley straw breaks down quickly and has little pokey needle things in it
Oat straw can be of various qualities, some of it turns to powder the moment you use it, some just flattens, some holds it's form for a litte bit.
Flax straw makes the birds or dogs shiney, but it flattnes very quickly
Ditch grass is very poor for bedding as is orchard grass. It flattens out and forms a dense mat.

NOt all wheat straw is the same. I have had some that lasted in a dog house for a month, and some that lasted for a week. I found that for the chickens the what straw worked the best for nesting material.

3What kind of Straw? Empty Re: What kind of Straw? Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:39 am

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

I know baled flax straw can sit in the feilds for years. Not sure about its composting qualities... I'm using wheat straw as well, myne does compact a bit, but overall it does the job.

4What kind of Straw? Empty Re: What kind of Straw? Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:55 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's a great summary - thanks! The pigs prefer wheat straw too, but it is very difficult to find here. I may have to settle for barley straw.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5What kind of Straw? Empty Re: What kind of Straw? Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:40 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like a little of both. When I do my coop my nest boxes get Barely straw, it is softer and seems smaller peices so they like it better. I do have to fill the boxes once a week but I like cleaning them out weekly anyways. As the nest boxes get cleaned the barely straw mixes with the wheat straw on the floor and makes a nice area. I find the wheat straw does not absorb well so nice to have a bit of a mix in there in the winter especially so it can absorb any moisture that might come into the coop with the birds.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6What kind of Straw? Empty Re: What kind of Straw? Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:12 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

wheat straw breaks down good. So that should be a decent choice. I would not recomaned rye straw as it takes for ever to break down!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum