Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer

+3
Magdelan
islandgal99
Schipperkesue
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Empty Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:14 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I drove down today to coop in after work. I also helped to set up the silent auction. Thank-you, all for your items! If you have some time, you should really head to Red Deer this weekend.

Here is the set up at coop-in.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Two views of the silent auction:

A lovely donated hand painted platter.

A pen and ink drawing I managed to get finished in time!

And finally one of my patient Houdans waiting for judging.

2Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Empty Re: Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:57 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for posting these before pics - the thought of a show is often daunting, but it doesn't appear so daunting after all. I can't go see this weekend as I'm working, but I do enjoy seeing the pics and look forward to more. Your houdan is pretty nice looking!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Empty Re: Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

IslandGal, I have never been to a show where people have not been friendly, welcoming and helpful. If you ever have a chance....

And thanks for the Houdan compliment. Toybarons and I have been working on this breed for a few years. They should be a decent dual purpose breed, but currently are neither great egg layers nor meat birds. We plan to change this.

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

the weather must have cleared for you Sue :-). That's great. Nice to see the photographs, that plate looks lovely and your ink drawing very nice! Have never seen a Houdan in person, what an amazing looking bird with that "go to the races" hat Smile . How are you going to improve it's meat and egg laying ability?

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the sneak peak Sue. The Houdans look good. Wish I could come, I am just to sick now......

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you made it! Thank you for the sneak peak!!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Houdan improvement involves birds from various sources and strict culling, one trait at a time. They should be a heavier, more horizontal bird, larger and broader with more weight. The mottling pattern is hard to achieve and often you find there is too much white. Fortunately I am seeing less this year. Also it is a five toed breed and getting those toes to point in the right direction is a struggle. TB and I have carefully selected 7 birds for the show and are going to do a lot of chatting about next years breeding plans partly based on the choices of the judge today.

The photo does not do the plate justice. Lots of gold and very sparkly!

Coopslave, if you feel better, on Sunday....

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am anticipating heavy bidding on Kathy's Orps, considering her latest win!

9Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Empty Re: Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:02 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

Schipperkesue wrote:I am anticipating heavy bidding on Kathy's Orps, considering her latest win!
I thought they were cochins? Either way, they are beautiful birds and are bound to spark a bidding war!

10Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Empty Re: Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You are right, BBoy, they are Cochins. My mistake.

11Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Empty Re: Sneak Peek at the CHB Show in Red Deer Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:37 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

So great to see it all set up! Hopefully I can make it to the next show!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum