Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatcheries

+3
Piet
authenticfarm
Buff
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatcheries  Empty Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Buff

Buff

Hi all I'm jus wondering when it comes to hatcheries what are some of the better hatcheries to order from for nicer quality? I'm looking at large fowl I'm not overly concern on cost jus looking for quality.

2Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:08 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you looking for meat birds or layers?

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That would depend of what kind of large fowl you want I guess. Try putting up a "looking for" add on here and see who pipes in. There are not many breeds unsupported here.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

4Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Choose a breed that meets your needs and buy from a breeder!

5Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:39 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Choose a breed that meets your needs and buy from a breeder!  
I agree.

6Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Buff

Buff

One of my projects is working on bettering the silver laced Cochins which will be quite project in itself. I haven't been able to track down any breeders of the silver laced cochins therefore I need to bring in some hatchery stock. I know it's not the best but options are limited.

7Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:13 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

You have Performance Poultry out of Ontario. They are the only Canadian on that may [?] have. Only thing is if you are looking at a rare/scarce breed and PP can supply it, be prepared for a hit/miss on what you get. I work with Mottled Houdans and have placed a couple of orders with PP when I was starting up. Sometimes you can managed to luck out, get something you can work with, or it goes the other extreme: you get chicks with too many defects and heavy die off due to poor breeding. Also if it's rare, you need to place your order when their hatching season starts or you likely won't get anything.

From the USA, I've got chicks from McMurray and Ideal. Both will work with Canadian orders and will get the paperwork for you to bring into Canada. Both will honor their dead chick policy. Just makes sure though that if you order, make sure the day they ship doesn't fall near a US holiday or your chickens can become stranded.

Some US hatcheries may do special orders even if they say they won't deal with Canadian orders. You sort of have to feel them out. Some like Cackle can be a bit ignorant, while some will bend a bit and will take your order if you can give them a US mailing address. Only way to find them is to call them directly as they seem to respond better than just sending them an email.

Good luck =)

8Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:36 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does Ideal have papers to bring across the border? I couldn't find where it said they did Canadian orders.

9Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:03 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Coop Yes they send alot of Chicks for people here in Canada
They start shipping to US postal For Canada orders in Feburary
Here is what Julie at Ideal Says
We will begin shipping to Canada in February. All chick breeds as well as the turkeys should be available by then, or March. The cost for the papers has been $100.00 per order in the past, and it should stay the same.

10Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got silver laced Cochins from Ideal. They were nowhere near the standard in size, shape or pattern. They also had vulture hocks. even the girls.

Lacing is a very difficult challenge to take on in any breed. A breeder local to me has been working on silver laced Cochin and has put aside the project as it was going nowhere. He may still have birds though. Do you want me to find his email address for you?

11Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Buff

Buff

Thanks Toybarons I will look into those ones. Im thinking I will have to order quite a few and sort through them to get some keepers.

12Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Buff

Buff

Schipperkesue wrote:I got silver laced Cochins from Ideal.  They were nowhere near the standard in size, shape or pattern.  They also had vulture hocks.  even the girls.  

Lacing is a very difficult challenge to take on in any breed.  A breeder local to me has been working on silver laced Cochin and has put aside the project as it was going nowhere.  He may still have birds though.  Do you want me to find his email address for you?
Yes that would be awesome! 
I know it's going to be a long long process but pretty awesome if I'm successful in bettering the breed as best I can to SOP

13Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:16 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looking for email now!!!

14Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have contacted Gavin. He is the young man with the Cochin. I will see if I can link you up. Since he is a student and not an adult, could you send me your email address and I will get him to contact you? I will also direct him to this thread. He may wish to join and contact you that way.

15Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Buff

Buff

Schipperkesue wrote:I have contacted Gavin.  He is the young man with the Cochin.  I will see if I can link you up.  Since he is a student and not an adult, could you send me your email address and I will get him to contact you?  I will also direct him to this thread.  He may wish to join and contact you that way.

I sent you a pm Very Happy

16Hatcheries  Empty Re: Hatcheries Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sent off your email. Hope he has what you are looking for!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum