Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

US Hatcheries

+12
Ruffledfeathers
heda gobbler
Dan Smith
pawsdaisy
pops coops
Hopeful Farm
Hidden River
TysExotics
ChicoryFarm
fuzzylittlefriend
mirycreek
rosewood
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1US Hatcheries Empty US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:14 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is cold out tonight and I'm longing for warm spring days with new chicks. I tried a Canadian order last year that was cancelled at the last minute. Maybe it is time to order from a U. S. hatchery again. I'm wondering what hatcheries still ship to US post offices for importation into Canada. Some like Sandhills that use to longer ship to Canadians for various reasons. I'm aware that McMurrays ships to Canadians, but who else?

2US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:15 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ideal

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

3US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:25 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm pretty sure there might be a thread under useful information way down below that shows the ones that ship up with health papers.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

4US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:26 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm under the assumption Whitmore Farm does but can't confirm that from their website?

Also I think Meyer hatchery does as well.

Can anyone vouch for this?

5US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Welps is on the list, but somebody said they do not provide health certificates. Thanks for directing us to the list, but the list was posted last spring and may need some revising.

6US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 pm

TysExotics

Welp and Meyers will not send to Canada.

http://www.prairieexotics.com

7US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Has anyone here tried a Stromberg's order.

8US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:32 pm

TysExotics

They wont either..

http://www.prairieexotics.com

9US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

So for chickens we are down to Ideal and McMurrays?

10US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:10 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

What about Whitmore Farm?

11US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whitmore Farm may sell to Canadians, but I'm interested in Cochins and Wyandottes which they don't offer.

12US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Got it and I don't know if they're a hatchery per se.

13US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:09 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:Whitmore Farm may sell to Canadians, but I'm interested in Cochins and Wyandottes which they don't offer.
I would try McMurray, The Ideal Cochins are not bad but their wyandotte's are pretty small.
I don't know of any other hatchery that will do health papers to Canada, so many are stopping just too much hassel.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

14US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:41 am

Hopeful Farm

Hopeful Farm

I got Cochins from Ideal last year. Jayme got them for me, so I'm pretty sure that's where they were from, hey Jayme? I am happy with them. Super fluffy, nice feathering on the feet and legs, nice temperament. Seem to be quite hardy, as well. I had some sickness go through the flock last fall and many died. All my Cochins survived, were under the weather for sure, but bounced back. Don't know if Ideal Cochins are up to Standard of Perfection, though.

15US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hopeful Farm wrote:I got Cochins from Ideal last year. Jayme got them for me, so I'm pretty sure that's where they were from, hey Jayme? I am happy with them. Super fluffy, nice feathering on the feet and legs, nice temperament. Seem to be quite hardy, as well. I had some sickness go through the flock last fall and many died. All my Cochins survived, were under the weather for sure, but bounced back. Don't know if Ideal Cochins are up to Standard of Perfection, though.

Your cochins were vaccinated for Marek's and ILT so that might have been why they faired well in the sickness? Not sure.
My daughter got Reserve Asiatic in Wetaskiwin last Feb with her Ideal pullet. Smile So they must be pretty good. I do find they are smaller than the hen she won Best Asiatic with this year, from show stock of Joe Masur. You could get a nice big rooster and breed him over your hens to improve size.

16US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:56 am

I inquired with Meyers who I had tried to order from last year and they said they had to many loose's to make it worth while ? I think we need to start a Heritage Hatchery here in Canada ! Bergs sells a few , Ideal and McMurry I haven't dealt with so I'll assume that they have reasonable good quality ?

17US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I believe Bergs gets their stock from Ideal, so if you like their birds then you would probably like Ideal's birds.

18US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Hidden River wrote:I believe Bergs gets their stock from Ideal, so if you like their birds then you would probably like Ideal's birds.
.Now that is interesting ?? I thought that they had there own breeding stock ??

19US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:16 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My cochins are from mcmurry and I think they are known to have pretty nice ones. The black pullet is the nicest she was reserve asiatic at the national show and was champion asiatic at the chilliwack fair when she was only 4 months old. One of the whites was reserve to her. The black was the nicest for sure, I had ordered 2 blues only one survived and turned out to be splash but is also nice and large with simlar body style to the black. I do really like the whites but man they are get dirty! Only one of the 2 is really up to standard the other being rather small. My one bantam cochin that survived is the cutest freaken little dude but he is small and he also had the slow feather gene as he was really really slow to feather.

I also had ordered SL wyandottes. She turned out to have a telescoping comb so is just part of the laying flock.

If you think you might be interested in a mcmurrys order message me. I am still on the fence but I would like to try for some more bantams again.

20US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:
Hidden River wrote:I believe Bergs gets their stock from Ideal, so if you like their birds then you would probably like Ideal's birds.
.Now that is interesting ?? I thought that they had there own breeding stock ??

As far as I know they import the eggs from a US hatchery and hatch them out there. That is why they only offer their rare birds for one or two hatch dates a year.

21US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:07 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm just looking to find what is out there. My Gold Laced Wyandottes stock comes from hens from McMurrays and a Performance rooster. For the last couple years I have had Miller's Brown layers, but I'm thiking of going back to Gold Laced Wyandottes as our main layers. That would make life simpler with one less breed and we could raise our own replacements rather than using a hybrid. I had some bad luck with the Black Cochins since last fall and have only one pullet now and 3 roosters one of which is looking for a ride to Cold Lake.

22US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:07 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

HUmmmm I have 4 pullets and no boys...I could definatly find a ride for a boy to kelowna Razz

But I am pretty sure there would be a high speed chase down the highway with cynthia hot on my heels! sunny

But really I am serious.......then I could hatch you out some pullets..

Anne

23US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know if you look around you can get waht you want in chicks and hatching eggs from breeders here in canada

http://www.popscoops.com

24US Hatcheries Empty orders Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:39 pm

pawsdaisy

pawsdaisy

when I find something at McMurrays I'd like other than geese (they don't ship to Can.) I get hold of Geoff and Angela @ beaupeep Rosedale. Tell him early he gets them shipped and saves alot of running around. Works out about the same cost per chick as McMurray charges with the health cost. They check the chicks out to make sure they're healthy and you get to check them too, before you pay. Not a bad way to go. All 21 chicks 2 ducks 1 5mo.columbian Idea wyandotte roo So healthy, growing and crowing.

25US Hatcheries Empty Re: US Hatcheries Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:21 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

HUmmmm I have 4 pullets and no boys...I could definatly find a ride for a boy to kelowna Razz

But I am pretty sure there would be a high speed chase down the highway with cynthia hot on my heels! sunny

But really I am serious.......then I could hatch you out some pullets..

Anne
I have experience getting Cynthia off my trail. I just tell her we will meet at Tim Hortons and then give her directions to one Timmy while going to another. I have 2 Black Cochin roosters and will want to use both of them in the future. Maybe we could work out a lease arrangement (pullets back) for the one I'm not using. I have one from Chicken Tracy and one from Joe Mazur. I have committment to use Tracy's first. I would have to clear this with other family members.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum