Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Integrating LGD's with other dogs

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Integrating LGD's with other dogs Empty Integrating LGD's with other dogs Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:43 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I currently have a free lease on the pastures at the place I will be buying, and my East Freisian/Lacaune sheep and ossabaw pigs live there already.  The current owners have 3 older LGD's that live on the property, and one of the dogs with the sheep. They previously lived with alpacas and chickens, so the transition was easy.  I watched the collie chase off ravens the other day to protect her sheep, the Pyr Benson takes over at night protecting against the bigger worries.  It's fabulous as I don't have to worry a bit, and my critters accept the LGD's as part of the family.  And honestly, if the current owners agreed to leave Benson, the older Pyr who lives outside with the sheep now, I will 100% keep him as this is already his home and he does a good job. I doubt that will happen though....

When I move, (it's looking good for December....by the end of next week I should know for sure) I have two working line German Shepherd girls, who will NEVER be alone with any of the critters unattended - EVER.  Learned that lesson many years ago, shepherds need a person to guide them and instruct them, that's why they make good herding dogs with a guide but cause problems so often when left to their own devices.  These girls only go into my chicken yard with me, under supervision, and that will never change.   I selected these girls for their high drives for working dogs (tracking and obedience), not anticipating having a farm so soon - I may have selected different had I known. High prey drives equal bad free-range farm dogs - but I will keep them much as I do now, so it will work, but there will be many days/months of on-leash life around the critters till the trust/control is for-sure there and even then they will never be left alone unattended.  They both are 2, but might as well be 3 months old for their play and activity level.

I do however want to have a LGD to live with the sheep and other critters.  We have eagles that will eat baby lambs, ravens that pick the eyes out of baby lambs, racoons that will attack piglets and lambs and chickens, hawks, owls...and then there is our one bear, one cougar, and stray dogs which are probably the number one problem for sheep.  

I'm looking for experienced people in this department.  I have lots of experience training and working with dogs, but zero experience in the LGD department, other than with regards to the three that live with my sheep now.  Here are the questions:

1.  Is this possible to have two "types" of dogs living on the farm?

2.  Can the dogs still be integrated and play/co-exist outside the pastures when desired or do they need to be kept separate?  My sheep and pigs are so insanely friendly, that I don't need herding dogs at this stage, and although I would like to have the shepherds come and work with me, it's not necessary and I can take them elsewhere to work on obedience and tracking, and do walks off the farm.  Protecting the farm animals is more important than having a big happy family.  I can manage if I need to keep the dogs separate.

3.  How to do it?

4.  What ages are best for a new introduction?

5.  Is 5 acres enough room for a LGD?

I'm probably missing questions...but that's a start.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2Integrating LGD's with other dogs Empty Re: Integrating LGD's with other dogs Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Island Gal
we have 5 acres and have 4 border collies and one LGD and it is totally enough room for a LGD.  it is important that the dogs be introduced to each other and that the LGD knows not to interfere while you are working your other dogs.  I am lucky (not) in that our LGD is still a pup and he has been raised seeing our dogs work the sheep and does not interfere anymore.  Your problem and task will be this Adult LGD and his charges (the sheep)..he may very well see your dogs work as being a threat and may try to stop it from happening.  The aggression will not be known until you try it..So, i would be very cautious and ask questions of the owner of the LGD about dog aggression and formal introductions etc.
There is a great group on facebook
"Learning about LGD"
i recommend you get in touch with this group as they can best guide you.  There are many in the group who will tell you exactly the steps required for success....as my LGD is only a year old...and i am in the steep part of the learning curve
Regarding play; LGD as a adult probably isn't going to interact much with your dogs..although he could.. You don't really want to introduce the high prey drive that herding breeds have to the LGD-different mind set. When my dogs are out with my LGD..there are no toys around...no play...just walks and talks.. the LGD must get used to the dogs working the sheep/livestock. If they are planning on living in the same place, the introductions need to happen as soon as possible. The LGD may not accept the other dogs
The issue is the LGD is not bonded to you and probably will not respond to you if you are trying to protect your dogs from him....good luck!
I know of others who have rescued LGD, and after time the LGD just understands the other dogs have a job too... you may need to put the LGD away with some others to protect while you work your dogs.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum