Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Driving stick!

+6
uno
heda gobbler
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
coopslave
call ducks
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Driving stick! Empty Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:46 pm

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

OKKKK who ever said driving stick is fun.... Soooo right. Got my first car last week. I ended up buying a friends Toyota Matrix. It's a buet.... It's also a manual I had no clue how to drive it hahah! So I can kinda of dive it now.... It's really fun to drive a stick I am not sure if I could drive an automatic anymore with out falling to sleep Smile

2Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:49 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very, very good skill to have.  Once you master it you will always have it.  I am always amazed at how many women cant drive a stick!

I took my drivers test in a 3/4 ton, old Ford with a stick and arm strong steering.  The fellow as shocked and awed when I parallel parked it first time!!

Congrats on the new car, sticks are fun!!!!

3Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Nice job! cheers  I learned how to drive a stick when a friend loaned me his car.  I was 16.  I lived on a hillside on one side of the city, and needed to get to the far, far side of that city.  I had no choice but to figure it out!!

Next up, backing up your own trailer.  Very Happy  THAT is something that continues to floor me.  The number of people/women, who can't (won't).

4Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Call ducks, you are doing things my way! I learned on an automatic but bought a standard shift as my first car because I thought it was an important skill to have. It was like learning to drive again, but I never looked back! Almost every car I have owned has been standard shift and they are away better for handling and mileage.

Oh, and I own a Matrix too! You can add a hitch and tow 1500 lbs on that baby! Great car. What color is yours? Mine is red

5Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh, and I can back up a trailer like an ace!

6Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:08 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I can drive stick in a pinch, but I prefer not to. If I was good at it, Himself would have me running tractors and grain trucks and everything else.

Nope, that's a skill I don't want to be good at. I have enough of my own work, I don't want to start doing his work, too!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

7Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have my own tractor so yes I can drive stick. Learned on a two seater red convertible "grind til you find it". One of the most fun things I ever did!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

8Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Heda, did not learn on it but I drove a 1967 Mustang with a stick. That was one scary-fast and hard to handle car!

9Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lovely!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

10Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:12 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

A valuable life skill! We all drove automatics but when Horse Daughter bought her first beater, it was a standard, and the other 4 are also sticks. Drive safe!

11Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've owned several cars with manual transmissions, but now that I'm getting older I prefer not to drive a stick shift around a hilly city like Kamloops. All the currently running trucks here are manuals. The first stick shift I drove was an old VW when I was still in high school. We did manage to jam 7 girls and 2 boys in this car with a slight problem. The door stuck on the curb meaning we had to unload and reload after pulling away from the curb.

12Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:26 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wasn't actually allowed to get my license unless I learnt how to drive stick. LOVED it.

Had a old Chev 3/4 with a BB454 in it and the starter plied up on me. Oh no now what should I do? (FYI that's my Rolling Eyes  girlish voice) oh right get your Costco load in there and start pushing done that very little hill and bale back in and wait for it......drop the clutch. The classic bum start. Super handy.

Its great you are learning to drive stick. Its being lost with these younger generations.

13Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:06 am

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Call ducks, you are doing things my way!  I learned on an automatic but bought a standard shift as my first car because I thought it was an important skill to have.  It was like learning to drive again, but I never looked back!  Almost every car I have owned has been standard shift and they are away better for handling and mileage.

Oh, and I own a Matrix too!  You can add a hitch and tow 1500 lbs on that baby!  Great car.  What color is yours?  Mine is red

It's red too! the odometer is maxed out, but you can't kill a Toyota so all good there. The seats all fold down and plastic on the back of them. Perfect for the transportation of birds.

Starting can be ummm leerchy at some times yet bounce But I am slowly getting there!

14Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:09 am

Kimberly K

Kimberly K

I recently learned to drive stick myself. Only took one drive to a friends house (20 mins) and I had it pretty sorted. Why I put off learning was and is beyond my understanding as I could have learned back when I was sixteen. Next will be having to back up with a trailer!

15Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:33 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

FUN!  Hubby (then boyfriend) tried to teach me almost 30 years ago........DISASTER!  My dear, dear friend from high school took me out in her Corvette and tada....... 30 min later I was shifting like a pro!  It really is like riding a bike, once you learn...you will never forget.

16Driving stick! Empty Re: Driving stick! Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:59 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

call ducks wrote:
Schipperkesue wrote:Call ducks, you are doing things my way!  I learned on an automatic but bought a standard shift as my first car because I thought it was an important skill to have.  It was like learning to drive again, but I never looked back!  Almost every car I have owned has been standard shift and they are away better for handling and mileage.

Oh, and I own a Matrix too!  You can add a hitch and tow 1500 lbs on that baby!  Great car.  What color is yours?  Mine is red

It's red too! the odometer is maxed out, but you can't kill a Toyota so all good there. The seats all fold down and plastic on the back of them. Perfect for the transportation of birds.  

Starting can be ummm leerchy at some times yet bounce But I am slowly getting there!
The plastic back hatch was one of the main reasons I purchased it.

Beware though, CD. Just the drive train is Toyota. The rest is...Pontiac?...I believe. I purchased mine new and have had issues with the brakes- premature wear. All the rest has been good though. Mine is a 2007 and has close to 200 000 km.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum