Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

non stick pans

+2
Schipperkesue
jon.w
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1non stick pans  Empty non stick pans Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 am

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

here is the link Computer [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:02 pm

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

here is another link from the EPA [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Ugh... Guess what gets tossed tonight -- pans.

Are pans recyclable?

4non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 pm

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

yes if thaye are aluminum and have enough you can get some money for them Very Happy

5non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:20 am

Hrm... stainless steel and teflon >.< With plastic handles no less.

6non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:29 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I haven't had non-stick in my home for over 3 years- these warnings have been around for a while and amazingly not in the forefront of the news. I am also suspicious about silicon cookware. They say it is safe but 20 years ago tefon was considered safe too.

It's steel,cast iron, glass and crockery for me.

Sue

7non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 am

I have long hated teflon anything -- most people say they can't taste it, but I've always been able to note if something was cooked on a teflon surface; kind of like I can hear a TV when it's on but not displaying anything, and boy is that agitating). I'm also wary of silicone cookery. If things are easy, there tends to be a reason/consequence.

I've picked up glass pots at Valoo Valage (how I say Value Village, sounds schwanky Razz ), pyrex ones, and I like them, and bought a pretty nice stainless steel partial set for 5 bucks when we first moved to Saskatchewan and had our other pots smashed (well... bent into oval shapes).

My cast iron (as per my old thread) is on hold at the moment, waiting to pick up lard.

8non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:08 am

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

lol!
Schipperkesue wrote:I haven't had non-stick in my home for over 3 years- these warnings have been around for a while and amazingly not in the forefront of the news. I am also suspicious about silicon cookware. They say it is safe but 20 years ago tefon was considered safe too.

It's steel,cast iron, glass and crockery for me.

Sue

9non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:00 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Not only are PFOA's in Teflon pans, they are also found in Gortex, stain and wrinkle resistant clothing (Scotchguard), Stain Master carpeting, grease resistant food packaging and a whack of other products. As Schipperkesue said, the dangers of PFOA's have been known for years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

10non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:14 am

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

good link Thank You
'lilfarm wrote:Not only are PFOA's in Teflon pans, they are also found in Gortex, stain and wrinkle resistant clothing (Scotchguard), Stain Master carpeting, grease resistant food packaging and a whack of other products. As Schipperkesue said, the dangers of PFOA's have been known for years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

12non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:34 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do they make non stick pens?

Ooh yeah! Imagine that manure just sliding off...

13non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 am

jon.w

jon.w
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

some thing to think about ROFL
Fowler wrote:Do they make non stick pens?

Ooh yeah! Imagine that manure just sliding off...

14non stick pans  Empty Re: non stick pans Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bzzz...fly in the ointment, here I come.

I read the first link posted and thought, what a bunch of pointless drek. What does this article tell me? IT tells me that these baddies may, MAY, affect the effectiveness of vaccines. When an article of research comes up with the word 'may' I think they are hedging their bets and selling thin air, the same kind that makes the sky fall on Chicken Little. Also, if you make your living on research grants from Govt, you need to find all sorts of probems that may or may not exist, otherwise, you get no paycheque.

I also love the extremes of population selection they went to to find a subject audience to test...to stack the findings in their favour. IF this study was aimed at the people living in this geographical region, now it has more impact. BUt this CANNOT be translated into how these things affect the general global population AT ALL! So unless you are a beach dwelling, fish eating Icelander/Scot this research isn't even about you!

SO, let's assume worst case scenario and assume it is true that my child has a tetanus vaccine that is 30% less effective. Do I honestly believe that tetanus is going to kill her? No. What is a REAL AND PRESENT danger in my kids's life is all those crappy monster caffeine beverages she drinks. Now that crap is likely to kill her! That and driving around with other idiot teenagers behind the wheel of a vehicle. The REAL AND PRESENT danger to my life or my kids is NOT a less effect vaccine. I'm hearing threats of the big, bad wolf huffing and puffing and threatening to blow my house down. WE must put everything we read into practical context of what the honest and actual threats to our lives are.

I am a skeptic. While I don't doubt that teflon is bad for us, taking that information out of context leads to what I call paranoia. LEt's face it, you can eat healthy, jog, save the environment but something is going to get you anyway. THat is how this place is designed! IF it came down to frying your morning bacon in teflon or cast iron, which choice is going to be better for you? GIVING UP THE DAMN BACON! WHAT you eat has way more impact than what you cook it in!

But to ensure the health and safety of my beloved family, I have quit cooking entirely. It was the only sane choice I felt that was available to me. NOt only have I given upon my Teflon fry pans, I have renounced frying!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum