Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dills in gallon jars

+5
uno
dj
Hidden River
chickeesmom
CynthiaM
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dills in gallon jars Empty Dills in gallon jars Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:01 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have copious amounts of cucumbers, they need to be pickled and they will. I have quite a number of gallon jars, from gatherings of years gone by. I short brine the pickles, don't bother with the long brining, I am just too lazy. Has anyone figured out a way for the metal lids that are on these gallon jars to NOT get rustyish from the brine? I know the lids are scarred from years gone by from the brine touching them and wondering how to get around this. There is no way to prevent the salt brine to touch the inside of the lids. Am I missing something in what I am doing? Wondered about cutting a thin piece of cardboard (like when you buy for example, miracle whip) and putting that inside the lid, but then not sure if that would be good either. Comments pleeeeeze. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

2Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:21 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have a gallon jar sitting on the counter and wondering that exact same thing. I had it full of pickled eggs so just used some saran wrap, but to use them to make pickles I am not sure.
I was wondering about painting it with something???
Sure hope someone has some ideas. Love these big gallon jars.

3Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:33 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chickeesmom, yep, I thought about the saran wrap, but would like the jars to seal, and I am not sure if this would inhibit the sealing process. Guess it really doesn't matter if they seal or not, they are preserved in the brine, and would be eaten all up before they went bad anyways. I have a Sister on the coast that has 6 kids that love dills and I know that they are sitting with mouths hangin' open, awaiting that day when their Auntie's dills from homegrown everything come to those hangin' open mouths. I don't think that I could pickle enough of them -- and I can rest assured that a gallon would not last more than a couple of days. When we farmed my farm together, we had hundreds of quarts, they didn't last until the following summer, smiling that big smile. Picture 6 kids, all having a hankering from home made dill pickles -- and did I mention I have tons of home grown garlic too to grace that pickle jar. Oh brother, a'ramblin' I always go. Have that beautiful, most awesome day, CynthiaM.

4Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:52 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I really don't know much about pickling or canning but I got some pickles from my cousin last year and she used glass lids on them, with the rubber ring to seal them. Not sure if you can get the glass lids for the larger gallon jars or not? I guess it would depend on how big the mouth of the jar is.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:59 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

No wonder in the olden days, glass lids and rubber bands were used, long before the invention of the metal rubber sealed-around-the edges lids were used. Tried and true, glass, I also have a thing about drinking from glass-only glasses. Gotta get back to the old tried and true, glass, ceramic, nothing of a metal content, smiling, beautiful days, beautiful nights...CynthiaM.

6Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:18 am

dj

hmm, my friend sealed jelly by pouring wax on top, guess it could work with pickles, probably messy.
I have seen plastic lids for gallon jars, although I don't like plastic, what about parchment paper?

7Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

What about if you melted beeswax and painted it on the inside of the jar lids? I have no idea if this would work. Regular paraffin would probably be too brittle and flake off. But beeswax seems to stay more flexible. If it did flake off and land in the pickles, it wouldn't harm anyone.

8Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:28 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:What about if you melted beeswax and painted it on the inside of the jar lids? I have no idea if this would work. Regular paraffin would probably be too brittle and flake off. But beeswax seems to stay more flexible. If it did flake off and land in the pickles, it wouldn't harm anyone.

Hmm...Uno, now that is a very good thought, I do have a whole lot of old wax sitting around, just waiting for the day when I do something with it. I think that is something that I am going to try, good idea!! I'll let you know, cause I think that is what I am going to do. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

9Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:57 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I agree with Uno. On hunting trips, and winter camping excursions in the mountains, we used wax to seal things and prevent rust. I think this will be your best bet.

10Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:57 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Note from my hippy days when I used to do batik and used a lot of melted wax...buy an old pot from the thrift store because once you melt wax in a pot, you pretty much never get that wax out! DO NOT do this in a good cooking pot! And expect the brush you use to be a tosser too, you are not likely to get the wax out. Make sure the lids are DRY and room temp. LEt us know how this works.

11Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:07 pm

I love I love you love I love you LOVE homemade pickles! Surprised

12Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:19 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Put your wax in a glass jar, and place that in a pot of boiling water.

13Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:40 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sealing of jars and cleaning of cars
combs for the bees to lay eggs
candles, of course, shining the floors
and smoothing those hairy legs

Oh all the wonderful uses for wax,
there must be a Kajillion!
and I would be willing to try them all
except maybe Brazialian

Sorry, just had to wax poetic

14Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:17 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey Cindi,

We make our pickles in big crocks, the lactic fermentation way (no vinegar and so easy). If you have the cold storage for the crock method it is a fabulous way to go and the pickles are delicious.

15Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:38 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

This is what i do with some of the gallon jars

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.popscoops.com

16Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:41 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler, I don't think you could be Foul-er if you tried! Nyuk, nyuk!

FarmChiq, you are subtle like a kick in the pants. Rolling Eyes

HillBilly, you get the brilliance award. Wax heated in hot water is less likely to go BOOF and burst into flame. I take it you batiked your t-shirts back in your hippy days?

17Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:33 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:I take it you batiked your t-shirts back in your hippy days?

I would never wipe with my shirt.

I was a boy, and wax is flammable. You do the math.

18Dills in gallon jars Empty Re: Dills in gallon jars Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beeswax melts at 147 degrees F. It will catch on fire shortly after that, smiling. Just some little trivia. Long live beeswax. I think I have about 10,000 pounds of that, along with 5 millions pounds of propolis, from many years of saving wax and propolis, smiling. Do you think I exaggerate, well I do like to embellish, just a little. I do have a whole lotta wax in my larder, hidden far away from Uno, smiling that big smile. have a most beautiful night and day tomorrow, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum