Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Something Scary for Halloween

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Something Scary for Halloween Empty Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:32 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Canadian food imports.

2Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Now that is spooky!
It is frustrating to me, when I shop and bag Canadian produce, according to the big sign with the price tag, only to read the little sticker on the product saying it is from Mexico, or some other place...
The other one that really gets me is a product saying it is Canadian, and it contains mango, or banana, or some other substance I really doubt we are able to grow here. At least in the quantities required for the mass marketing being done. Even coffee and tea being labelled as Canadian??? Say what????
When possible we buy local, then Canadian, then US, then outside of that. We are working towards growing and producing more here at home.

3Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:28 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great little commercial, Fowler. I appreciate fact based, non hype reporting such as this.

4Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:49 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that's an excellent add Fowler. I worked in a fruit packing shed this summer for a while, because the weather was so strange at the beginning of the year (early warm caused the trees to bud up before the bees had their game on so they missed the boat) the early apples were a right off so my boss had thankfully imported truck loads of organic apples from NZ. Good for his business but as nostalgic as it was for me to be packing gala apples from my home turf, also really sobering. The Okanagen valley is really a wonderfully fertile place, where we are it is essentially a desert, happily a lot of water in that lake (but pollution from farm run off is another issue Suspect ) and some delicious fruit gets produced. Nice wine too Cool . Seems very abundant to be driving by all those orchards butted right up next to the road. Easy not to think in terms of what is not being exported and imported when surrounded by those sights. Great add. We buy local if we can, support small businesses.

5Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:06 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's amazing what is available locally if you make a point of looking for it.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:14 am

People who buy eggs from me, people I would assume are somewhat on board with buying local, get a glazed look in their eyes when I tell them they could buy almost ALL their meat too  from within (well within!) 100 miles.  I tell them I am their best connection, all they have to do is ask.  I know lots of people who raise livestock in small quantities (I am one sometimes) and could "hook them up" to buy farmgate.  I think more education is needed.  People think it's so far out of reach, or mysterious or, Gordon forbid, difficult to buy local meat.  It needs to become our culture again.  It's incredible how far from that it is.  It's like locally raised food is from another planet.  Question

7Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:34 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

lol farmchiq! I am forever hooking people up with locally raised meat or other goods. I should start charging a premium.

I would like to sell our (hormone-free, no antibiotics, grass-fed, ethically raised) beef off the farm, but husbeast is not in favour of having to deal with people, so it's a no go. I have to be happy with providing meat for ourselves and my family and leave it at that.

8Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:22 pm

This is the world we live in and not much is going to change it ? We also live in a climate that doesn't allow for all the luxuries that we have become so used to ? our tastes have gone from a meat and potato dinner to such a huge variety of available flavors from all over the world and we wanted it ? Yes buy locally if you can ,  but most of what we grow does hit the market elsewhere  due to the farmer wanting and getting a share of that market which might translate to a higher income .I'm sure that somewhere else someone is asking the same question . Most people will not pay you anything extra for your organic well treated  free range poultry / beef / pork because they are all doing what we are doing ..............best bang for the buck ! and as long as this happens ? well the rest follows . I have been giving away poultry , garden produce for years and I still have problems getting rid of enough .........for free ? Maybe I should ask a enormous amount for what I have been giving away and it will go faster and I might actually get rid of it all ????

9Something Scary for Halloween Empty Re: Something Scary for Halloween Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:52 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie dog, you might have something there. Appealing to a higher market means you get more money for the same amount of work. You just have to spin it correctly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum