Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Not Poultry but farm related

+5
Piet
SerJay
Cathyjk
appway
karona
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Not Poultry but farm related Empty Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:28 am

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Ok this is not about poultry realy.

I want to hear if anyone has ever
had a Bouvier dog on the farm
and how they do with poultry, waterfowl
goats, llamas etc.

Since my dog is now 13 yrs old I am thinking
of getting something younger to help him out.
There is an 11 mth old Bouvier male advertised
and I have always been interested in this breed.

Thanks

2Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:03 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Never had one as a farm dog But they do require alot of grooming has he been around farm animals before as a older dog can have prey drive and rember they are some what of a Herder / drover
The breed is a wonderful breed I use to show a couple for a lady down south.animals
You could always see if you or the owners could bring him out to the farm and see how he reacts to the animals

3Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Only ever see them herd small children at dog shows (they head butted them to keep them in line)... I don't think they are livestock guards but herders.

But they sure are beautiful dogs!

4Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:08 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Karona I picked up a lovely fella a couple weeks ago.  He's 3.5yrs LOVES (I mean absolutely ADORES) children and all humans but has a hard time with my younger exuberant dogs.  He has no interest but a healthy respect of the horses, goats and alpacas.  In the house you would hardly know he's around, quiet well behaved and respectful but usually pretty close by.  He knows all his basic commands and when I give treats he sits perfectly with my dogs awaiting his turn immediately when I ask.  He has been well loved but not socialized properly.  He really gets upset when other dogs get too exuberant close his humans, growling and snarling.  Last night hubby sprawled out on lawn to do some kid and dog rough housing and poor Simba was so upset.  He really wanted to protect my hubby so I brought him over with me but it really upset and was very hard on him.  There was no issues and nothing beyond growling snarling and obvious unhappiness but I was watchful and called a halt immediately.  I'd hoped to give him a good home but I'm realizing that our chaotic exuberant home life isn't really the best fit for him.  He's not a barker or a wanderer, he is a loyal stay close to his humans dog, can be safely left in the house or yard without issue.  He sits quietly in the vehicle when travelling and really a very nice boy.  His one and only issue is his upset over exuberant canines (kids getting exuberant he's perfectly fine with) and his need to protect his humans Sad  We've had him around other dogs and he's fine until they get too close to his humans.  He eats dinner and sleeps with our dogs and its completely fine but when they try to wrestle and play he gets upset and when the kids try to wrestle and play with our shepard he tries to protect the kids even though it is purely play and ruins the fun.  He has gotten much better but I just don't see him ever being ok with it.  The cats can rub up against him in the driveway or sleep beside him and he's fine.  But cat stretched up to get attention of texting hubby and he yelled an ouch which brought Simba immediately at attention to protect him.

Here's some terrible cell photos
Not Poultry but farm related IMG_1241

Here you can see he's not happy about the shepard coming to start some play but with a strong word from me he backed down
Not Poultry but farm related IMG_1244

I called the shepard off and he settled again just fine
Not Poultry but farm related IMG_1249

Perfectly at home in the vehicle and when driving he sits calmly and quietly the entire trip
Not Poultry but farm related IMG_1271

He is absolutely a lovely boy.  He is fine with other animals, likes to play fetch but does not play well with exuberant (rude) canines.  My kids can climb all over him snuggling up and he's happy as can be, kids can squabble and fight and he's fine, but the play wrestling and canine barking puts him in protect mode immediately.  I'd love to keep him, he's wonderful but I don't think our home is what would make him happy.  He's neutered and free if he suits your household

Last edited by SerJay on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:34 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Serjay
Thanks that is quite helpful.
I like his protective attitude
looking for something to make me
feel safe while hubby away.
As for livestock guard not as important
but I don't want something that is going
to jump the fence and slaughter things
in the field.

6Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:39 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh should say Simba is the fella on the right in all my terrible photos Smile  If I gave away hubbys giant grey/brown bimbo I'd be in serious trouble!

7Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I have seen a bouvier kill a sheep. The owner was super upset off course as he lost control and the dog jumped the fence and killed one of the sheep. They are strong dogs, but as with all of them it depends on how they are brought up.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

8Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:29 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I knew someone a long time ago that had a Bouvier. I really liked the dog, but only really saw it on social occasions not regular life.
I always thought they were beautiful dogs but I thought they looked like this:
Not Poultry but farm related Bouvier_zps0211edd2

9Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:17 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was just about to say the same thing Coop. I've only ever seen black ones with very bearded faces. Had a friend with two of them, he just thought they were the most devoted wonderful dogs. Terrific guard dogs. Very strong minded.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

10Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:37 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh Simba is a mutt Very Happy  but I know Karona and have been to her place a few times thought he might suit her and he's already trained, no puppy issues and used to being around livestock.  Bouviers seem like great dogs but have no idea about them personally.  I do know that teething giant breeds can be a real pain and controlling an unruly or untrained giant breed is not much fun especially with ice season sadly almost upon us.  A calm loyal trained dog is a real gem if I can't find the perfect home he'll stay here.

11Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:58 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That makes good sense! Better a dog you know....

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

12Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:07 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

13Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:49 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have always wanted a Bouvier or a Gaint Schnauzer but alas somebody isn't going for it. What I have seen is a pair down the road that are used as cattle/guard dogs. They were absolutly magnificant to watch work. But then again I like watching a good working dog. I know that part of what held me back was the care that is required for that double coat. It mats easy. When I didn't have children to groom I always groomed my dogs lol. But like all good sized working dogs with double coats the have the ability to smell cause of the oils naturally produced.But I think he would be an asset on the farm.

Brake diaphrams make great frisbees for bigger dogs who like to chew.

14Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:41 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well I am very uncertain but have made
arrangments for this 11 month old to
come out to the farm tomorrow to
see how thing go.
Not going to rush into anything.
Serjay thanks for the off but even at
11 months this one is past my limit
I set of max 6 mths.  From what I have
research the Bouvier matures later so
will see.
The big deciding factor will be how
he and my guy get along.
If he takes after Rollo it will be
a big no.

15Not Poultry but farm related Empty Re: Not Poultry but farm related Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:08 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well the bouvier came out to the farm on
Sunday. He got along with the old dogs
and the bloodhound but not the cats.
So that was the end of that. I did not
feel it was fare to the cats that have
been here for 10 and 11 years to stress
them out.

Has anyone heard of Adopta Paw Pet Haven