Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

not farm related but pls read for warning.

+16
ChicoryFarm
LynBar Ranch
mirycreek
nuthatch333
chickeesmom
pops coops
Prairie Chick
Blue Hill Farm
Fowler
CynthiaM
Island Girl
uno
Dan Smith
Schipperkesue
DCChick
cbrookkelly
20 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Please, please, please....if you ever have a strange chest pain even if it is slight, go to emerg immediately to have anything serious ruled out. My husband of 10 years is 44, fit, non smoker, decent diet, little family history,...woke up friday morning with "different" chest pain. After a few minutes of arguing I had him in the car and into emerg within minutes. He prompty arrested 5 minutes of arriving. He was "out" non resposive no heart beat for a minute before he was shocked back then immediately flown to Calgary CICU for surgery. My fit 44 year old husband had a very serious heart attack that he would NOT have survived having it outside of the hospital.
We have loads of support and help and many friends who will look at their own lives differently I am sure. My husband's main "fault" is he is a professional who works entirely too hard and too long. All "things" are not worth losing my best friend over. We will be living a totally different life from now on. Banker's hours at the most.
He is stable now and with any luck we could be home by Wed...depends on what tomorrows tests show as to final damage.
No history, no warning, nothing. I am glad I was insistent on going to emerg.
Please go by your gut feel and don't hesitate to get to emerg. They would rather work you up and send you home if it is nothing and it could save your life getting there on time.
Thanks everyone for listening.

Oh Kelly thank goodness you confidently followed your gut instincts! I can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now, nor your husband. Thank you for sharing your warning. I hope everyone reads it and takes it to "heart". So, so grateful to know that your best friend got the help he needed. I know other 44-year-old hard working men who were not as lucky/smart and are no longer with us.

I hope his recovery is quick and complete. Take care of yourself at this stressful time.

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Cbrookkelly, your husband is very lucky to have you. As a typical guy if you hadn't pushed him he most likely would not have sought help. I will be hoping for a speedy recovery for him. And don't forget to look after you while you are looking after him!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whoa! What a fortunate and impressive thing that your vigilance saved his life!!

Sue

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hope everything from this point looks good and he recovers completely.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Kelly, you must be reeling and in shock. You are both in our prayers and thoughts. Thank the lord that you got him into that hospital! We all walk beside you on this road to recovery, talk to us, complain to us, share your fears and triumphs, good days and bad. You are among friends here. If good energy counts, honey, you have a wagon load of it! Healing, blessings and peace to you both.

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wow cbrookkelly, he is lucky to have you (and you to have him)! Thank goodness you were persistent in going to the hospital! My thoughts and prayers are with you both for a speedy recovery. Please remember to take care of yourself too during this time!
XOX Monika

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Kelly, wow, that was quite a thing to read. You know our thoughts are with you, wishing your man a speedy recovery. And thank goodness he listened to you, and off you went. This is a lesson for us all to listen to, and know well that we have. You take care, you have our love and support, should you need to speak, and so wonderful that things will be well on the homefront soon. Have a beautiful day, health, happiness, love, CynthiaM.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hope he recovers well.

I wonder if stories like that are why married men statistically live longer than single men.

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

How very scary for you both! Thank goodness you pushed him to go get checked out. Following ones gut instinct rarely steers you wrong. I hope he has a quick, easy recovery and everything is smooth sailing from now on. Please take care.

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery and all the best to you and your family.

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for posting and i hope all is well, I had the same type of pain one morning and did not pay attention to it, at midnight my wife was taking me to the hospital were I had 3 heart attacks in the next 2 days. I thought I lived right ate very well but also worked 25 hours aday and 8 days a week.

http://www.popscoops.com

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh Kelly, how are you holding up, what a scary scary thing to go threw, thank the Good Lord you made him go in. I read somewhere that it is the morning hours that most men have there heart attack.
We were away for the week-end and while we were gone our local vet passed away from a heart attack. She was in her early fifties. Life is too short, lets not take it for granted, count our blessings every day.
Sending your hubby a speedy recovery, and yes, it will change your lifestyle, but all for the better.

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Kelly you know all of our thoughts are with you. Sometimes it takes a shock to make us make the changes we must do. You have a chance to make those changes thank goodness for that.
As an aside to all, knowing emergency first aid ie CPR is something we should all make sure we know and keep up with, seconds can make the difference. Kelly's fast action saved her husbands life. Stroke is another catastrophic event where seconds make all the difference.
If you ever think someone is not quite right ask them three things to make sure it is not a stroke:

Ask them to make a simple sentence.
Ast them to smile
Ask them to put their arms above their head.

If they can't do these things get them to emergency ASAP

Kelly All my hopes for a speedy recovery for your husband.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

wow what a shock that must have been, so glad you convinced him to go in for sure Kelly!
Take care.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

WOW, thoughts and prayers are with you.
A few years back, a friend of ours had the same thing, finally relented to go to the hospital and died on-route with his fiance and sister. He too was 44, was to have his 45 in a week and his wedding the following.
My father died of heart attack and that shocked our family to change.
My lessons were:
Try not to stress the small stuff.
Yes, you need $$, but it is NOT worth your health
Have your pets/toys/me stuff now, you can't have them in the nursing home!

Keep us posted!!

http://LynBarRanch.com

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Kelly, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us as a wake up call to what can so easily be dismissed in the beginning. I'm relieved to hear your husband is okay.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

What quick thinking on your part. Your husband is lucky to have you. All the best and I hope he has a speepy recovery.

I don't wish to hijack your topic, but I would like to ditto your advice. Years ago my husband, like many men, didn't see the point in getting a regular check up. After me pushing him, he caved in and went. He was diagnosed with high blood pressure. It wasn't severe but enough that it caused concerned. He was put on meds and he has never had a problem.
Last year, my husband's older brother had a severe heart attack that left him near death. He is still recovering. He had been warned by his doctor over a year before his attack that he was at risk for high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes. Unlike my husband, he didn't think it was important.

15 minutes is all it takes at a doctor's office. It can save your life.

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh my gosh! Thank you for all your replies and good wishes, you are all amazing folks!
Just got wonderful news! The front wall of Don's heart has resumed movement! Just 6% of the bottom of his heart is permanently damaged. Although he will retire his hockey gear, we should be able to resume most of our lives after a good long recoup period and lifetime of drug therapies.
I am extremely grateful.

20not farm related but pls read for warning. Empty heart attack Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:51 pm

jocelyn

Kelly, I am SO glad it's going to be OK. All the best to the pair of you.

Jocelyn

Beside every good man stands a women and you dear lady deserve all the praise that you recieve , and hopefully a lot of love and gratitude from your loved one .All the best and I hope he has a quick recovery ............god's blessings on both of you , in him give all the praise .

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery and you take care of yourself. Lou

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

What good news for your husband. I'm glad to hear that.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was so sorry to hear about this. I hope your husband (and you) are doing better.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum