Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's keep this a farm/poultry site please

+6
lady leghorn
KathyS
Fowler
Country Thyme Farm
Butterboy
Hidden River
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey all I don't have much time to moderate and such lately, I was hoping we could all get along. It seem our personal opinions on personal subjects seem to lead to things we shouldn't be lead to on a farm forum. I agree we all have opinions and I like that we are a friendly enough forum that people actually feel free to share some of their personal anguishes but lets try to keep out talk farm related for a while.

I have been sitting back for a long time now, maybe too long, not saying anything hoping this place would turn around. There have been times I have thought of closing it down, turning it over, and just walking away. And I see some of our members are starting to feel the same way.

I created this site to have information for people that were new to poultry, homesteading, etc. I know when I started out I only had old farmers to talk about, or people in commercial barns that just were not set up the way I wanted to do things. I haven't seen much lately in the way of informative information for people starting out, and what some people have put into informative information are now deleting it.

I don't have the time right now to deal with this emotionally or physically. So I guess those that are not happy will leave and those that feel they have some informative information to give back will stay.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Butterboy

Butterboy

Thank you!

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thank You 

http://countrythyme.ca

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

"Celebrate your comonality. Some of us don't eat pork, some of us don't eat shellfish, but we all of us love chicken." - Homer Simpson, Episode: The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have an idea. Next time one of us feels a rant coming on, lets spill it to the husband/wife/friend/co-worker. Or write it in a journal. Lets leave the public ranting to Rick Mercer. He does an awesome job at it!

I hope this forum stays, and the good people who make this such a great place. Hidden created this forum as a service to poultry-keepers, both new and experienced. Its evolved into something unique and important and it would be a shame to lose this because of some heated discussions that are not even related to farming activities. Good quote, Fowler... "we, all of us love chicken".

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great site, please keep it going.  Thank You 

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Hidden..others
i actually like the banter in here... it is all pretty innocuous and makes me feel like i am having tea at someones house.
maybe there should be a topic "tea" in which people could go and rant to their hearts content, and those who are not wishing to hear it don't have to even look at it.
If'n you need some help being an admin (and i have no idea what this entails)..just ask, i am sure there are others who would like to help in any way they can-me included

Last edited by bigrock on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bigrock I like the banter too, but sometimes banter just turns ugly with differing opinions and that is what has happened lately. I have seen it for years, it is just the time of year, people are frustrated with winter and everything else and the smallest things can set us off. (Just ask my children).

As for the help with admin the whole reason I made this site was for self regulation, I feel we are all adults (well most of us on here) and we should be able to post and discuss without moderation from others. Too many moderators = too many upset people. (This is just my past experiences with forums)

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Moose was telling me about a reptile site that has a section called 'Hell' which is regular banter that is not regulated. It's a fend for yourself situation. The rest of the topics must stay on topic. Maybe we need a hell!

Self moderation is understandable and a great reason to open a forum, I understand what you mean, Hidden!

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:Moose was telling me about a reptile site that has a section called 'Hell' which is regular banter that is not regulated.  It's a fend for yourself situation.  The rest of the topics must stay on topic.  Maybe we need a hell!

Self moderation is understandable and a great reason to open a forum, I understand what you mean, Hidden!

I think if we were to create a "hell" section, I think it could open up a can of worms. I'm speaking from personal experience. Sometimes you can say something with nothing or no one in mind and you can have someone take it personally. Then it goes somewhere not moded and, to borrow your suggestion, "Hell" happens. Even if it gets resolved, sometimes it can get carried over into another group and the same drama happens all over again. Believe me, as much as I love a good troll bait and a good flamewar, spill out happens. I like this group the way it is. I would hate to see it turn into something it shouldn't be.

Hidden, I think, is right. I think many of us are getting a bit cranky an ichy for this winter to end. Also think we all can be a bunch of old farts sometimes. It happens. It's just too bad that a valued member of this group because of it. Hopefully, they will return  Smile 

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think I'd want to go to hell.

We are adults here. Well, most of us. And even those under 18 are pretty mature. We have seen threads go awry and people angered.

I think a reminder that this is a community is occasionally needed. People get angry, words are said, things get settled, people stew. They stop talking to their neighbors. They may even decide to put their house up for sale and move away. But usually things settle out. Eventually the community stabilizes again.

It's okay to disagree, we are all individuals with different views and as adults we should have learned that we have to except the fact that we don't always hear or read what we feel is what we think or believe . This site has some great structure which is why I joined it ! It is my deepest hope that everything will return to normal and that this family however dysfunctional it can be at times pulls through this and we all learn to forgive and forget ........or get past this and move forward .There will always be two sides to everything ...............

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum