Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs

+5
cbrookkelly
islandgal99
authenticfarm
uno
Cathyjk
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Mallory is 5 (and weights about 170lbs). He decided when he was 2 that the birds were his to guard, and I do mean guard.

I had a buff turkey tom one time that I picked up to show friends and from the side I got this big mouth on my arm, very gently, but it was clear, "hey, that's my bird!"

He does a great job keeping the ravens away. I think he has a deal with the birds, he gets an egg every once in a while and in exchange, they get protection.

Truly Tibetan mastiffs aren't livestock guardian dogs, although we were told that early on. They are more property guards.

Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs 5f43dc02-7264-413d-a512-c6a5e24e8ce8

Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Mall2

This is our first TM, Sophie. She passed away a few years ago and is Mallory's aunt.

Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sophie

We also have two little TM girls.. and they are little, not more that 80lbs each. But what dolls. Just huge love sponges. They were really destructive when they first came - they ate our couch, literally.

Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Girls

2Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

How much of your life is devoted to grooming? Oh my Gordon, I can't imagine it! Absolutely gorgeous dogs!

3Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:50 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gorgeous! !

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

4Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:25 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Stunning...thanks for sharing.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

5Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:45 pm

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Mallory really is spectacular.....I love him to bits but somehow cannot sneak him away from Cathy. Very Happy 

6Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

cbrookkelly wrote:Mallory really is spectacular.....I love him to bits but somehow cannot sneak him away from Cathy. Very Happy 

Thanks Kelly. And he loves you right back! He always remembers you when you come to visit!!

7Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:02 am

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote:How much of your life is devoted to grooming? Oh my Gordon, I can't imagine it! Absolutely gorgeous dogs!
Surprisingly not much. The girls in particular don't take much. They mostly shed out their wooly winter undercoat and have nice slick summer coats. Mallory's is the worst, sort of cotton candy like undercoat that takes a bit more to get out.

We also have six Maremmas. They actually do guard the livestock.
And a border collie, Wilson, who is terrified of stock. Loves to bark on the 'other' side of the fence Razz 

8Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:02 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Gorgeous!  I was really looking for TM's 4yrs ago when we were looking for a new pup.  But they were impossible to find Sad  A tiny 80Lb girl would be great!  LOL my hubby's 140LB Newf is a ittle big and a nightmare to groom Laughing   Mallory has such nice eyes and sounds like a fabulous boy and his aunt  was gorgeous!  You are a lucky lady to share your life with lovely critters Smile  Thanx for sharing

9Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:02 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

[And a border collie, Wilson, who is terrified of stock. Loves to bark on the 'other' side of the fence Razz [/quote]
border collies will bark if they are afraid of something, or overly excited and neither one is acceptable. If you have older sheep who will stand still for you, you can put the dog on the sheep's back and hold her/him there until s/he starts looking at the sheep or smelling their wool. all the while you can encourage the dog, and touch the sheep. you might only have to do this a couple of times. This may not be practical in your situation. you can also leash the dog, and move through the livestock. if there is barking, jerk the lead a bit and say no!
i don't mean to be presumptuous..hopefully the barking is something you don't find attractive...and if you like it press on!

10Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 am

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had never really seen this breed before. They are gorgeous! I love Mallory. Lou

11Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:26 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for sharing are any of these from Ontario Thgat she was looking for homes for ?
I conjtacted her about helping out with a couple but she said she had no way to get them here so I could not help her out
They are beautiful and when I showed them I really loved the breed

12Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

appway wrote:Thanks for sharing are any of these from Ontario Thgat she was looking for homes for ?
I conjtacted her about helping out with a couple but she said she had no way to get them here  so I could not help her out
They are beautiful and when I showed them I really loved the breed
Yes. The girls are from Ontario. Actually everyone is from the same breeder!!

She seems to have things all sorted out, finally.
ALthough I do think their litter mate (a female too) could still be placed.

They are huge love sponges.

13Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Empty Re: Mallory, one of our Tibetan Mastiffs Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:47 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

bigrock wrote:
[And a border collie, Wilson, who is terrified of stock. Loves to bark on the 'other' side of the fence Razz 
border collies will bark if they are afraid of something, or overly excited and neither one is acceptable.  [/quote]
Wilson only barks once in a while .. but he is now 11 and probably isn't going to saddle up to the livestock. Although he sort of gets bringing the llamas in Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum