Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Designs for Nesting boxes please

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Designs for Nesting boxes please Empty Designs for Nesting boxes please Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have pretty nice nesting boxes, i think...but while we are building our new coop, we want to see what others are doing with regards to nesting box depth.
We have the sides and back that are pretty solid; the front comes up maybe 2 inches. Wonder if others have deeper nesting boxes, and how high they are from floor to roof?
I love Cynthia's portable boxes, and we will construct some of these for the broodies.. Cool 
ideas please-by the bunches!

2Designs for Nesting boxes please Empty Re: Designs for Nesting boxes please Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:01 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

My nest boxes are fixed to the wall with a sloped roof overhead to prevent roosting and pooping.

They have a 4 inch wide board in front so a hen can hop up and land on the board, not directly in the nest box. This prevents her from crunching eggs by landing on them.

Hub built them 14x14 instead of the usual 12x12, this was good because some Brahma hens and other large birds just aren't comfortable in a 12x12 box.

Ours are raised about 14 inches off the floor and the birds used to kick all the bedding under there and lay eggs under there and it was a very awkward spot to get to. Hub blocked that area off, no more floor eggs. If your boxes are off the ground, make them high enough that looking/reaching under them isn't too difficult. Or block that area off.

3Designs for Nesting boxes please Empty Re: Designs for Nesting boxes please Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 pm

vic's chicks

I have yet to find a nest box or a location that they seem to like. I saw one on a post here (I think) It was rectangular with a sloped roof. the opening was in one end . They were way more private than the ones we have. I think they like to be hidden away. Then the front was hinged so you could open it to get the eggs. I want to try some of those.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum