Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

geese nesting question

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1geese nesting question Empty geese nesting question Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:14 pm

vic's chicks

We got three pilgrims last year. . I noticed the other day that the male was trying to mate with one of the females. I don't think he was very successful. The guy we got them from said they were late hatches and may not lay this spring. Are there any signs that they are wanting to nest or do they just disappear one day. We have a floating nest box almost finished. I am hoping they like it. Today one of the females was in the straw way in the back of the shed for quite a long time so now I am suspicious. I thought it was maybe because the temp has dropped here quite a lot below normal. They are not accustomed to this cold weather. When do they start to lay? What time of year can we expect them to brood if they do decide to. What do I do if they do lay eggs? My biggest worry is that they will lay them where we can't protect them. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the floating nest is to their liking although that has not been my experience with chickens. I think I have made them the perfect nest box and they would rather lay in a cardboard box full of straw in the back of the shed.

2geese nesting question Empty Re: geese nesting question Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I think geese are nuts! Fuzzy's Sebs are laying up a storm and trying to brood and hatch in this weather! All summer she wanted them too and they weren't totally cooperative but they want to hatch now? Seriously.....I think those geese are bonkers! Now her sweet little call ducks I could learn to love, they don't give me the evil eye!

3geese nesting question Empty Re: geese nesting question Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have yet to figure this out. They can lay any time starting now and will lay just about anywhere you don't expect. Some are great mothers, some are not so great. I've learned to incubate at least 50% of the eggs laid, leave some with the goose. I see Premier now has goose eggs in porcelain, I'm going to get some and see if that encourages the geese to lay in the nesting area.

I've read some breeds must mate on water to be successful. No water here that isn't frozen solid (-30 this morning).

Good luck!!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum