Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Call ducks won't go into nesting area

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Call ducks won't go into nesting area Empty Call ducks won't go into nesting area Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 am

Luca

New Here

I just got a mated pair of call ducks and have them in a nice big rectangular tractor, with about 2/3 of it being enclosed in chicken wire where their water and food is, and the other 1/3 being enclosed in plywood with fresh hay and shavings for them to sleep and make their nest. There is a nice duck sized door for them to go through to get to the nesting area.

However, since they have been in the tractor (4 days) they have not set foot in the nesting area and just sleep and lay their eggs on the bare dirt and grass in the open part of the tractor! They are very flighty so trying to lure them into the nesting area has not worked. The other night I thought maybe a light in the nesting area would lure them in, so I put a little LED light in there. I just saw them take a quick look and then go back to sleeping on the ground.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

2Call ducks won't go into nesting area Empty Re: Call ducks won't go into nesting area Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

There maybe some duck feng shui we don't know about is what you are saying?

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Luca

New Here

Thanks for the tips- all great points to consider! Yes, it is bone dry in the shavings and also the ground is quite dry and sandy, so maybe that is it. I ran a couple of extra buckets of water into the tractor and the got the ground a lot wetter today as it is so hot and they seemed to like that, in addition to their bathing pool being topped up.

Will try making a nest with a marked egg as well. Do you think wetting the shavings is a good idea? I think I am still in the chicken mentality of trying to keep all moisture at bay.

They seem to be pretty happy in there anyway. Thanks!

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Luca

New Here

Eggs-iting update: This morning an egg was in a small nest in the tractor! So I guess patience is everything. I think I will still switch out the bedding to your suggestions to ensure proper humidity in there.

Now to decide if we want to hatch or not. Thanks again for the help!

Luca

New Here

Thanks again for all the tips- we are very happy to report that as of last week Tuesday we had 9 call ducklings hatch out of 13 eggs. They are all still alive and kicking and doing great! So cute- wish I could pet them but mom is very protective... she practically tries to take my hand off when I reach in the tractor to change the water and food.

The drake is in the tractor with them... there seems to be very little info out there on what to expect when letting a hen brood naturally. Should I plan on taking the drake out at some point? I have heard they can get aggressive? Also is there a time to separate the hen from the ducklings as well? They all seem quite happy for now.

We moved them to a bigger, more secure tractor and they still prefer to sit out in the open even with the nasty weather last week rather than in the enclosed space. I put a bunch of pieces of plywood over and around them for rain and wind protection and they seemed to like that. 

Here is a video I took if you would like to see them all. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-U8uIxW0PQ

Highlights around the 4 and 15 minute mark!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum