Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Basket o Coopers

+4
ChicoryFarm
Blue Hill Farm
bckev
coopslave
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Basket o Coopers Empty Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:24 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM was asking about what the Coopers chicks were looking like so I thought I would take a pic of a few of them before they are moved to the outside brooder. I believe the one in there with the feathered shanks is a pure Marans, the combs will tell in a couple of weeks. I am still getting some feathers on legs with the Coopers, but I am trying to have clean legs eventually.
Year 2 in the project and I am happy with the progress. Now the next step is seeing what the pullet eggs look like this fall.
I like the shade of blue most of the chicks are.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Gorgpeous, I want some. Damned addictions

3Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

bckev wrote:Gorgpeous, I want some. Damned addictions

I am not far away, just say the word! Very Happy

4Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are too cute! Are Coopers your winter hardy dark eggers? Nice name btw. Cool

5Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooh, they're pretty coop! Good work.

Sure wouldn't mind some myself. Must...........hold...........off. Shocked

6Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:04 pm

Awh! What gorgeous chicks, Coop!

7Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Flicker Chick wrote:They are too cute! Are Coopers your winter hardy dark eggers? Nice name btw. Cool

Yep, thanks. Bckev mentioned something like it and I thought it fit. Nice to not have to type winter hardy dark layers all the time!!!

8Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is your plan in the end to have blue birds or color doesn't matter? Just the winter hardiness and dark eggs?
I would sure be interested in some as layers if you have extras this year...
I will be by in August and could definitely meet you and pick some up. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I will have incubator space in june or july for osme of them and some p chants. If that works for you. Would love to come your way, a good excuse to do some early season scouting for the next hunting season.

10Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:51 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh no Coopslave, I feel sick, sick with envy, smiling. You know that I have such a hankering for blue birds. Gonna have to figure this one out in my mind though. I think you will have great success with your Coopers, I really do. You gonna have a very cold hardy bird that will lay lots of eggs. What do you think? Do you think that the eggs will be browner than a light brown egg? If that is the case, you know I am after some dark brown egg layers, for egg laying only, so we can have enough eggs. Darn broody hens, smiling. Anyways, putting that bug in your ear too, just like everyone else. I might be up for a couple of pretty, pretty blue girls, I would want the feathered legged ones though Shocked , imagine that eh? You know I love feather legged birds. Those chicks are the prettiest chicks I have ever seen, I love blue babies, and wish my blue cochin babies were a dark shade like that, but doubt if I will ever get there. Sometimes there are some that are reasonably dark, but nothing like what I see here. You lucky girl!! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

11Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:55 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hidden, I would know pullets from cockerels by then. Remind me closer and we will work something out. There will be some that don't meet what I am looking for and they would be great layers!
As far as colour, I am aiming for black and blue with red throats, but to be honest colour is the least of my worries right now!!! Very Happy

Bckev I can do the PChants for you but the Coopers are done for the season. Marans rooster is gone and they are back in with the PChant rooster so no more hatching this year.

12Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM I will put your name on a couple of feather shanked dark blue pullets. Do you care about the comb? Do you need a winter hardy or is a single ok?
The hens that laid the eggs are laying a deep terracotta colour (darker than the eggs you got, you know the ones) and they have been bred back to a Blue Marans rooster so I am hoping for darker eggs, or at least maintaining the colour they have. I will try to remember to email pictures of some of the eggs, you may have to remind me. Embarassed

13Basket o Coopers Empty VERY Cute!!!! Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

How far is it to your place from South Western ON? You've created an awesome new Canadian breed!

14Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, put me down for a good few of the feather shanked ladies. Na, I'll take the single combed ones too, you will probably have a few of those and those will not fit into your breeding program. We do OK with single combs here. Not one of my ladies got any kind of frostbite last or this winter (last winter coldest was -17, this winter -12). This winter the roosters did not even blacken their combs. So wonder if it is anything below -12 that will black them up. The buff rooster got a teeny tiny bit, not much, but no tip damage. Ya, so sell me the single combed ones for sure, unless others want them too. I have to play nice in the sandbox and that means sharing, smiling that big smile. Beautiful days, CynthiaM.

Ya, I'll send you a joyous email every day until you send me some pictures Twisted Evil

15Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Micah and Kiah wrote:How far is it to your place from South Western ON? You've created an awesome new Canadian breed!

I am in BC so quite far! Laughing
They aren't a breed yet, but I hope to stablise them to be useful to people in the next few years. Just a lot of fun at the moment!

Oh, and CynthiaM, sent you an email. Wink

16Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:Oooh, they're pretty coop! Good work.

Sure wouldn't mind some myself. Must...........hold...........off. Shocked

Give me another year Chicory and I may want you as a co-breeder! Wink How is that for a good excuse to get into something new!? Laughing

17Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:30 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

If you haven't sold all of your extra chicks of the coopers I would take them.

18Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:31 pm

You're a hit, Coop!

19Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

bckev wrote:If you haven't sold all of your extra chicks of the coopers I would take them.

I responded in the other thread, email me please.

20Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:59 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah, ha, Coopslave, so you and ChicoryFarm going in cahoooooots!! Now that would be a hoot and a hollar, she is a most delightful woman and would do you well. Smiling. I know you were teasing her, but boy, oh boy, you should see her place and the gazillion little henhouses and runs for her birds. She rivals Tara's place, just slightly differently set up and coops that are somewhat smaller, from what I remember. Boy oi oi oi!! Her Husband done done her good! Incredible buildings and runs. (are you blushing yet Chicory? that was my intent Twisted Evil ) Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

21Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:59 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM, I haven't been to Chicory's place but have meet her and Mr Chicory a couple of times. I find them both delightful! Very Happy Would be happy to work with her on anything I can pressure her into. Wink

22Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

(You do know the surname of the couple is not "Chicory", right?, you would never in a million years believe the surname, the coolest name I think I have ever heard, but that is a secret, smiling). Their place is most lovely. and she would be a good partner, as she is just as anal as you Razz have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

23Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey you two! Very Happy I'm just jumping back in again on this thread. Had no idea you were talking about me. I must say, I feel honoured to be so closely connected with both of you and am so grateful for my friendship with you both.

Cindi, your Buff Orps are beautiful and fabulous layers and I've got a whack of their eggs in the bator. 'Thunder' my boy from you, is magnificent and so well mannered. Can't wait to see how their babies grow out.

And as for you, Mrs. Coopslave.........twist my rubber arm and I probably will jump on board with you in time.........to go with your beautiful Partridge Chanteclers and our livestock guardian dog - Stella, who is doing such a great job.

Big hug to both of you and to your men as well. Thanks for the compliments. Hope to see you this year.

Oh and our last name? I don't mind folks knowing cause it is very dear...........it's 'Precious'.

24Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:45 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

ChicoryFarm wrote:Hey you two! Very Happy I'm just jumping back in again on this thread. Had no idea you were talking about me. I must say, I feel honoured to be so closely connected with both of you and am so grateful for my friendship with you both.

Cindi, your Buff Orps are beautiful and fabulous layers and I've got a whack of their eggs in the bator. 'Thunder' my boy from you, is magnificent and so well mannered. Can't wait to see how their babies grow out.

And as for you, Mrs. Coopslave.........twist my rubber arm and I probably will jump on board with you in time.........to go with your beautiful Partridge Chanteclers and our livestock guardian dog - Stella, who is doing such a great job.

Big hug to both of you and to your men as well. Thanks for the compliments. Hope to see you this year.

Oh and our last name? I don't mind folks knowing cause it is very dear...........it's 'Precious'.

My dear Ms. Precious. I did not want to speak of the surname as so many things are confident. This be one, but now is not. Precious....to say the least. I am so pleased you are pleased with my buffs, and I was thrilled when you called him by the name of Thunder, because of the huge sound when he jumped down from the perch. Ya, to you and Thunder, the girls and all that goes with it. I will give Ken that hug from you. Let's hope this generation is as nice as the one you have as the breeders. Only time will tell that tale Cool .Have beautiful days, CynthiaM.

25Basket o Coopers Empty Re: Basket o Coopers Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Blues is best! How lovely they are, Coopster!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum