Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you cook a Brisket from beef???

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Empty How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:58 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi, I would really like to try cooking a Beef Brisket. But have absolutely no idea how to prepare it.

Do I roast it in the oven? Or in a crockpot or ?????? Any help would be appreciated. Question 

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Make corned beef with it. Pickle it. That's why my mom used to do. Fabulous!

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Can you just roast it like a regular roast? If you made corned beef with it, would it "have" to be put in brine????

Have no idea how to make corned beef? Was thinking more along the lines of roasting, or cutting into slices of beef, like bacon?

4How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Empty Re: How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:11 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

What I've heard is long, slow, moist cooking. I would try the crockpot, if it were me. We get ours pickled at the butcher.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

5How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Empty Re: How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:51 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Brisket is tough. YOu are brave to even to attempt to serve it as a hot meal.

Yes, making corned beef is quite a process, and is not a one day event. I do not recall the process, just this weird looking piece of meat mom had when she was done. It was a frightening bright red! But oh my Gordon, it was so good we almost fell over! Made the best sandwiches EVER!

If you feel like reviving a lost art...

uno wrote:Brisket is tough. YOu are brave to even to attempt to serve it as a hot meal.

Yes, making corned beef is quite a process, and is not a one day event. I do not recall the process, just this weird looking piece of meat mom had when she was done. It was a frightening bright red! But oh my Gordon, it was so good we almost fell over! Made the best sandwiches EVER!

If you feel like reviving a lost art...
Can you find it and post it ??

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh geeze, is a brisket a pot roast? It sounds good, I would tend to slow cook in a crock pot though...have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Brisket is ftom the cows chest so yes long muscle fibres needd slow moist cooking or smoking. Has lots of layers of fat which melt as it cooks and gives wonderful flavour.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Best to shred to serve on buns or such. Doesnt slice well when warm.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

10How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Empty Re: How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie Dog, mom says it was so long ago she did this, she no longer has the recipe. She recalls that she snipped it out of The Western Producer. BUt the process is as follows:

Make a brine with various spices, unclear if this brine is just salt, mom says she doesn't think vinegar is involved, but can't recall for sure. Place the RAW brisket in an earthenware crock, cover with brine, then place something heavy (rock) on top of brisket to keep it below the surface. Turn daily for 7 -10 days!

After appropriate soaking time, place brisket in pot of cold water, bring to boil. Boil for a bit. Drain and repeat process bringing it to boil again in a a fresh pot of water. Voila! Corned beef.

11How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Empty Re: How do you cook a Brisket from beef??? Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:44 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fall Apart Beer Brisket

Brown brisket on all sides in fry pan then place in crock pot. Add onions, garlic, beer, steak sauce, tomato paste, and anything else you feel like throwing in. Cook in crock until pulverized. Pull apart and serve on buns with the juice as a dipping sauce.

Mom makes this. Also a Western Producer recipe.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum