Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So, would ya? Cook for critters incubated 10 day old eggs

+7
KathyS
coopslave
Hidden River
bckev
Schipperkesue
heda gobbler
CynthiaM
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well would ya? At what point in time would one consider the non-starting eggs to be not worthy of feeding to animals? I am thinking of dogs in this instance. I know if I have an egg that has a crack in it, for whatever the reason, or a break, like a hole, I feed it to my dog, raw.

What if a 10 day old egg, which had been held at 100 degrees F, was cooked and fed to a dog or should I say dogs? Would this be a nasty thing to do, or wadda-ya-think? I have never broken open an egg that has been held in heat for any length of time, so have no clue what could be good, bad or the ugly.

Whad-do-ya-think? I have a few eggs that I took out of the incubation progression today, because they were either infertile, quit or just never ever began and just thought "what if". What if, ya, would that egg be rotten or not fit for any consumption except the garbage can's mouth?

Would love to hear comments, experience, good, the bad or the ugly. Bring it, cause I really, really need to know, before I chuck these eggs. Which is what I normally would do.

Ooooooh, if anyone thinks it is for human consumption and I am using an animal as a scapegoat, please think again Razz . Would never go to that place, never in a million years. Would probably turn me off eggs for my lifetime. Thoughts, experience, puleeeeeze. Have a most awesome night with days to follow, CynthiaM.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good question! I just gave the pigs the eggs that I candled at 10 days and were totally undeveloped.

It always amazes me that I will eat undeveloped eggs and chicken but nothing partway in between. I know some cultures do eat half developed eggs/chicks but it make me squeamish.

I do tend to throw them way out in the field and let the dogs/ravens/crows etc deal with them. I just don't want to know. And they may be rotten/stinky so I throw them FAR....

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I give them to the ravens.

I would like to blow out some goose eggs but there is no way I am going to let any fertile eggs be destroyed, so I am wondering, yes, wondering if I can blow out my infertile ones at 10 days in the 'bator.

I guess I could always make a little hole and sniff first. If I get a whiff of something bad, I will ditch it.

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i hard boil them first then give them to the critters.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have read that many people will take the infertiles at 7 days and cook with them, so dont see why 10 day eggs wouldnt be ok to feed to the animals.
Sue definately blow them out, the yolks at day 10 are mushy, so would make for blowing out much easier I would think. I am going to try it with my goose eggs I just set if they are not fertile. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Super, Hidden! I have some artistic plans for these eggs!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do what Hedda does, throw then far out into the hayfield for whatever wants them.

I think if I was considering it, I would break one and see if the yolk holds together and doesn't break. Then I would be ok to feed it to the dogs, but I may cook it first. Don't know why that works in my mind but it does! Rolling Eyes

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I do my first candling at 8 or 9 days. It is easy to tell which are infertile. I boil those all up and feed back to animals. Mashed for chicks, cut in pieces for adult chickens, dogs and cats.
I get a lot of infertiles in the first couple batches of the season and I don't like to waste anything so nutritious.
(I draw the line with anything that has a hint of develpment.) Those get hucked out in the bush as far as I can throw them.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yep pups love the infertile eggs and at 10days they don't smell or anything just look like normal eggs inside. Yucky eggs that die early or whatever they get hucked out into our lagoon and ravens etc swoop down and take them away. Sue all my goose eggs were in fertile last year and I blew them all out (after being in incubator for 2wks) and kids had tons of eggs to decorate for Easter Cool

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I crack all clears into the dog dishes, never seen a stinky one yet, the ones that were "started" have a blood ring or something can have a bit of pressure when you open the egg but once again, nothing stinky, ever!
No reason not to use them for animal feed for sure.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My German Shepherd gets whatever doesn't hatch, no matter what stage they are at, fertile, infertile, never cooked. She doesn't always eat fully formed chicks, and in that case after a couple of days I throw them in the bush for the wild things. They have never made her sick. She gets baby rabbits that don't survive as well. She goes nuts over these and gulps them right down, fur and all. Laughing

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I never throw out any egg, at any stage of development, without cracking it open and looking at it first. The best way to learn about hatching, development, when things go wrong, how to tell if your candling is accurate or not, is to open that egg and see what's inside.

But sniff the egg before you crack it. If it is bad, you will smell it through the shell.

I have never had an infertile egg go bad. They can sit in a bator or under a hen for 21 days and look like a regular egg when you crack them. (I would never consider these fit for human consumption) However eggs that get half way along and die, those can get a little stinky. I crack them and examine them anyway.

If the egg looks like an egg, I give it to the dog, raw, no matter how long it's been in the bator. I DO NOT give him dead embryos. I figure if I don't want my dog to develop a taste for chicken, I better not be feeding him chicken veal. ANything that looks dark, gooey, bloody or like a chick in any way, gets flushed down the toilet. But I NEVER huck an egg without breaking it open (unless it it oozing stinky goo, which has never happened)

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Voila, there ya go, the consensus is done. Thinkin' of all the eggs I have wasted over the years. Oh well, life is about learnin' and learnin' and learnin'. Surely did do some good learnin' this mornin'.

I bet that would be excellent baby food for the newborn chicks. Cooked. Frozen in small packets. Saved for first days baby foods. Another thought for learnin'.

Thanks my friends, for all the good thoughts here, have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:I bet that would be excellent baby food for the newborn chicks. Cooked. Frozen in small packets. Saved for first days baby foods. Another thought for learnin'.

That sounds like a good idea, I may use it this year.

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My German Shepherd is the guardian of my chickens. She does not harass or eat them, even though she gets dead chicken embryos. I have been doing this for a few days.

I was reading somewhere, in an old text, that recommended feeding infertile candled eggs cooked and smashed to new chicks.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ha, gotta laugh, out of 68 eggs in the incubator, there were 20 that did not go back into the incubator for further development. Either they were infertile or quitters. So, I cracked each one and dumped them into a four cup measuring cup. So darn weird. Now what governs what.

I would say about six of those 20 eggs were still like round yolks and plopped in with a big plop. The other 14 were like mush and plopped in with a bloop.

So....the ones that were still very round yolk, intact yolk, were those the ones that were not fertilized.

The ones that had the yolk that was not formed into a ball form but mushy, were those the ones that were fertile and had not gone any further.

Of the 14 or so that were not a round formed yolk, I would say that about 4 of them had bloody crap in them. I am thinking that those four might have been the ones that had developed further than a few days, hence the blood which I think was the formation of the blood veins.

Does anyone know any of these things?

What I mean is:

The fully formed and round yolk, that is the unfertilized egg?
The yolk that had turned mushy, that is a fertilized egg that stopped?
The yolk that had turned mushy, but looked bloodyish, is that a fertilized egg that developed longer than the ones that looked mushy only with no blood?

Three main questions, anyone wanna take a guess at? I just don't know. I have never ever, until very recently, paid much attention to even candling before day 18. Just too lazy I guess. Now I am glad (and I have been incubating lots for years and years) that I have taken upon the task of candling at day 10 instead of day 18, just makes more sense to have less eggs in the incubator that are not developing anyways.

Oh ya, those 20 eggs made almost 4 cups of egg stuff. Gonna cook that today and then figure out what to do. Probably freeze for chick baby food. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would agree with your conclusions.

Whole, normal looking egg, was never fertile to begin with.

Egg with yolk broken and runny, that started to develop, then quit.

Yolk runny and with bloody streaks, more developed then quit.

Those quitters, which start to undergo a decomposition process, are the ones most likley to become a problem in the bator. I always remove them, feeling it is bet to avoid any potential explosions. If you leave those in too long, your nose will eventually alert you to their presence.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum