Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is cold/neglected embryo in egg dead/alive? less intrusive method

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

niglefritz

Lots of other good troubleshooting information on this webpage as well, but found this particular bit interesting and answered the question that I had. We had 2 eggs that were fully dark when they were candled after the hatch appeared to be done and we wanted to know more. Thought I'd share my findings about how to tell if there is an embryo still alive in the shell without opening it, because as all of you will know, once opened...

I found my treasure on avianweb.com, near the bottom if the page:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

By the way, we now have 9 out of 11 new LB chicks, broody hatched, now 2 days old! They are all good and healthy so far.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Interesting. I have never done this.

Generally, I smell the egg. A dead chick sitting in a warm bator very soon begins to develop an 'off' smell. Hold that egg right under your nose and smell. If you smell enough good eggs, you will soon recognize a bad one! When your eyes can't help you, the nose can!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum