Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How cold is too cold for collecting fertile eggs

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My coops are not insulated, nor heated and I know when collecting large fowl eggs for hatching, one should collect often throughout the day (I get out every 2 - 2.5 hours) but what temperature is too cold to even consider hatching?

Thanks! Rolling Eyes

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I go out once a day when I get home from work. Out of the last bunch I put in the incubator 45 out of 50 were fertile. And most of those 5 were Dark cornish bantam, so I am thinking I may have to wait until those birds are reaching better fertility later in the spring.

I don't sell eggs, so I just collect everything and put them all in the incubator. We have had some pretty cold weather lately and many of those eggs were icy to the touch!

Even the goose eggs are pretty fertile. I put in 7 a week ago and when I candled I had at least 3 live embryos. Geese lay pretty early in the morning, so those eggs are sitting there in the cold all day before I collect them.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Let me add- most of my birds are bantams and they lay on the floor- silly birds! The large fowl I put in earlier this week were 100%

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most hens lay within an hour or two of day break or the lights come on. The eggs won't be very cold even in fairly cold weather if you collect shortly after laying. I collect several times per day, but this is not possible for everyone.

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's great. I reckon if I'm getting two thumbs up - one from Alberta and one from Barriere - places much colder than Nelson, I can collect away. Great affirmation.

Thank You Sue and Rosewood.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum