Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Two momma's with babies... can they mix?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Two momma's with babies... can they mix? Empty Two momma's with babies... can they mix? Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:06 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We have two momma's in a nice size space with the newest momma in an area sectioned off from the other. The oldest chicks from the Buff are a month old now and the others from Aunt Ruth are 11 days old. When can we take the partition out? One of the older chicks was in with Aunt Ruth and her babies yesterday...nothing happened that we saw; unsure how long it was in there..guess they are flying now Smile
Thanks

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have found it is during mostly the first week or so that mammas are very, very protective over their babies. After that, that instinct of severe protection diminishes, especially so after the babies get older. The babies know who their mamma is and will follow mamma's instructions. At about one month old, soon that mamma will be not desiring to look after little ones much more (the older one is buff orpington, correct?). They have better things to do than to look after babies, in their mind, after about one month to 6 weeks old. Many hens will mother their youth for much longer, but I have found over and over, at about a month, those little ones are beginning to wander off to the wild blue yonder, not needing mammas as much.

My take on this. You have lots of room for mammas and babies to get away from something that may harm. Like another bird. I would remove the partition and let things go. Keep an eye on things, but I can bet my bottom dollar the mothers are not near as protective and all will be well. Do you have time to be around, perhaps you are at work. I would test it out for sure.

I have two cochins that are raising babies of the same age. Today I am removing the partition that separates the two in the dog kennel fence, and am also letting those mammas into the open public area with the other cochins. They are one week old and they need more room. One baby has slipped out under the kennel fence the other day and the other cochins were just looking at it with interest, no harm was intended. I feel comfortable to let them out now, today is the day. Mammas will be happy.

I fooled mother nature on this one. One cochin hen was sitting on eggs for about 18 days, another cochin hen decided to go broody. Blah. Just don't want more chicks (still got a buff sitting on eggs, due in 10 days and then THAT's IT!!). So, I split those eggs up between the two mammas. The black cochin must have had a wonderful suprise, when 3 days after brooding on eggs, they hatched. I'm sure she looked below her belly and said "how'd that happen!!" She hatched out her babies the other had incubated, and I was 3 weeks ahead of that broody game. Chickens are amazing.

Ya, so, if I were you, absolutely, remove the partition and let the mingling begin. I am positive that you will have good results. Give me a call later and let me know how it goes. Long live the broody!! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ok...removed half of the partition between the mommas, and the Bupp (as we call her) came in and went right to attacking Aunt Ruth....So, i shooed her out, and she came back in and tried again...so, i whupped her with the side of the fencing pliers....just so she knew i was there...not hard...and she squawked and headed back outside.  Aunt Ruth the whole time has fluffed up to the size of a small cow protecting her charges...
So, i put the partition back up..only expanded the area for Aunt Ruth...and i will take it down again  tomorrow..and see what happens

vic's chicks

I had this same question once. When i put them together they had a go at each other a few times the first day and then they were ok. I agree that as long as there is space to get away from each other they will be fine. Right now I have four mamas with chicks running around together. They all respect each others space. We have a huge yard. I don't know if that makes a difference. Two more are hatching in a couple of days. It will be interesting to watch the dynamics.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bigrock, you conjured up some pretty funny things, for my mind's eye. Pictured you with a big cast iron frying pan, whompin' the bird, laughing here now.....ya, they will do that sometimes, they have a hissy fit at one or the other and then get over it. I had even that black mamma hen attack the blue mamma hen (cochins) when I took down their partition the other day, only lasted for one attack and then they went on their merry way. Just wanted to show bosswoman I guess. For sure, they do need room to get away from each other if they can. Try again, and if you have time just leave them to duke it out, I don't think it will be long, hope so anyways. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum