Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We are both going back to school, but at what cost?

+3
uno
authenticfarm
Jonny Anvil
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

I have some more wonderful news to share.

Both myself and my fiancé Karrie (KareBare) are going back to School this fall, focusing on Post Secondary Studies!

We have both been granted full acceptance into our respective programs at NAIT. I got my acceptance earlier on this month and Karrie got her acceptance into Medical Transcription on Aug 1st.

For the first time since grade 9, where we first met, we will be going to school again together. Most of our classes are in the same business tower, and on the same days, different areas of study but we can share a locker, ride to school together and have lunch together Very Happy 

So this fall/ winter is going to be a very busy one, with both of us focusing on full time studies. Karrie's course load is much more intense than mine, but mine none the less has it's weight in assignments and group projects. I am looking to get a GPA of at least 3.7 or higher. Karrie is aiming for a 3.5 or higher.

This transition of us both going back to school, will be a difficult task for sure, and one of the most difficult realizations that has come to light is one that saddens me deeply.

We have discussed our situation over the past few days and have come to terms with the understanding..... that we need to part with many of our beloved birds Sad  Looking at our schedules we will not have the amount of time required to care for as many birds as we have. There is even more uncertainty in consideration to our projected financial situation/ budget that now faces us.

This is a very hard decision to make, this has been my passion, but I must downsize for the better.
I will not be able to afford cost of feed while in school.

In the coming days I will have a post up of chickens I will be parting with, I still need time to sit and think things through.

I have come so far with my birds, and do not want to just give everything up now cause of financial restraints.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That sucks in the short term, but when you're all graduated and employed, then you can have ALL THE BIRDS!

Hopefully you will be able to find great homes for everything, with good people who will safeguard your hard work - so when you're ready, you can pick right back up where you left off.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny, I have no advice. But I'd like to say I admire you. I admire your honesty.

Lots of people would pursue their goals without honest and real consideration for the effects this will have in other areas of their life. They may say, for example, well the critters will just have to tough it out. But unlike you and me who can make adjustments as we see fit, our critters are locked in cages, at our mercy, and Gordon help them should we have no mercy because it's all been shoved aside in our rush to serve ourselves.

So, knowing that you have to deal with the lives that are your responsibility is an act of immense honesty and I commend you. The right thing is never the easy thing. It would be easy to drop standards and go with a little more neglect, so you could have your cake and eat it too. In some instances that might work. But in most, no it doesn't.

I wish you luck and peace with the decision and choices you have to make, as hard as they will be. Good luck to both of you in your studies.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

authenticfarm wrote:That sucks in the short term, but when you're all graduated and employed, then you can have ALL THE BIRDS!

Hopefully you will be able to find great homes for everything, with good people who will safeguard your hard work - so when you're ready, you can pick right back up where you left off.

You are completely right !!

In the short term yes! The Suck factor hits an all time high! lol
But it's true, with the future success, and my determination to succeed and obtain my own land to further continue this path in life, I can have the birds I want, and the extra factor is I will be able to afford the facilities I so want to have. Don't get me wrong what we have now works, but not they way it could, or rather the way I have it envisioned.

Finding good homes for them is what is key to me, some where where they will be appreciated.

uno wrote:Jonny, I have no advice. But I'd like to say I admire you. I admire your honesty.

Lots of people would pursue their goals without honest and real consideration for the effects this will have in other areas of their life. They may say, for example, well the critters will just have to tough it out. But unlike you and me who can make adjustments as we see fit, our critters are locked in cages, at our mercy, and Gordon help them should we have no mercy because it's all been shoved aside in our rush to serve ourselves.

So, knowing that you have to deal with the lives that are your responsibility is an act of immense honesty and I commend you. The right thing is never the easy thing. It would be easy to drop standards and go with a little more neglect, so you could have your cake and eat it too. In some instances that might work. But in most, no it doesn't.

I wish you luck and peace with the decision and choices you have to make, as hard as they will be. Good luck to both of you in your studies.

Uno, you Rock, perhaps you may even roll, with the flow!

Thank you for your words of both support and kindness!!

It's been very hard decision, we will have next to nothing for income, we are fighting for funding for school, and more or less not giving up on our dreams.
I want to take my passion of country living, poultry raising and growing your own food, self sustainability, to the next level.
I have beeb plagued with health issues since I was 8-9yrs old, I have had a rough go in life, but learnt to get back up, mind you sometimes I was down and out for months, and even a few years, but at some point I got back up and just kept going. Perhaps it's ADHD, I am always wanting to do something or get bored easily.. LOL But up and back at it.

That's the current orientation for me now in life, I am on my feet. I finally have some control over my health. I have never had this much relief and lived this "painless" in years, and for once it's cause I figured out my health, I learnt to better understand my body.
It has taken me this long in life to fully understand what is going on with my health, but I think I have it figured out cheers 
Only time will tell.
I have a lot of living to do, to make up for the years I was so sick I was secluded, not chasing my dreams and obtaining my goals.

I have come to the realization that I am a leader, not a follower, I can follow, but chances are I will try to take over...lol
I'm doing this schooling for me, obtaining my BBA, and MBA is something I want for myself. I started Jonny Anvil's as a hobby and now

Honesty

Here is some more honesty, I will not be selling off certain birds. I have one rooster that began attacking Karrie, he attacked me, and the last straw was I saw him go after my nephew, but last second he stopped. He will be going to freezer camp and becoming a student's budget meal. LOL

I commend your decision -- hard one to make. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Thanks Sweetend!

I will be sure to ask for help if need be Smile

I also meant to say good luck, but I suck and forgot to type it.

So.. GOOD LUCK Smile

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Johnny if you decide to part with your orps, I would make you an offer, I'll keep them, and I turn I get the chicks, when you are done school, you can have your birds back (or replacements). I know you have been working with them. I could only do this with black/blue orps as I won't have extra pens, but could integrate them in with mine!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad to hear of your exciting plans! You'll be living without any luxuries for a while but it will be such a worth-while investment in your futures. Jonny, I do hope you can find a way to keep a few of your favorite birds. They will be a welcome diversion when you need it most!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Jonny I can see that both of you have to make decisions about what is the most important thing to do right at the moment and I think you are right in thinking that if you are going the schooling direction, then that has to be your priority right now and your farm has to be put off until the right time comes to set it all up again.
And that time will come again I am sure of it.
It will be so hard to let your birds go but I think you can be pretty certain you will have other ones again someday, as they mean so much to you Wink
Best of luck to both of you in this new venture!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Hey Everyone,

Well this has been a lot harder than I had Originally expected. I have been pondering over the idea of whom to part with and whom to keep back to continue on with my breedings.

I am in no way abandoning this venture, my passion of raising poultry.

Things have just been so hectic these past few weeks, Myself and Karrie getting into school, preparing for my sister's wedding. Family gathering and so much more.
My sister was supposed to get married this coming Saturday the 16th, but she has called off the wedding as they feel that they are not ready to take the next step.
With that, Karrie and I were booked in at Radium Resort for the weekend, and we were going to take a small holiday afterwards.

But now with the wedding being cancelled and our schedule now free, we have decided to go on a get-a-way vacation instead.
No plans, no direction, no itinerary just go.

So to update everyone,

I need some more time to properly decide whom I am parting with, and at this point I am thinking that I might take everything I am parting with to the POAA Sale this fall. I don't have the time to meet up with everyone, and feel this will be the easiest way to part with the ones I need to in one day, then I can relax.

I have numerous requests for my birds from other's, via phone calls, emails, and so on. It's nice to see there is an interest in my stock. Smile

This is honestly the hardest thing I have faced in a few years, One becomes attached to their critters~

Cheers,

Jonny

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think anyone can begrudge you for doing what you feel is best for YOU and your critters!

Have a great get-a-way!

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

authenticfarm wrote:I don't think anyone can begrudge you for doing what you feel is best for YOU and your critters!

Have a great get-a-way!
Thanks,

I asked my father to watch over the flock while we are gone, I know they will be in good care!
I never would have decided to go away without someone properly watching them, providing food, water and locking the coops up at night.

Mind you I haven't locked up Luke's Coop since 2011 and I have yet to loose any birds in that coop Smile Just lucky I guess. Use to lower the pop door every night, but they were escaping through their window at 5am, so I gave up.. lol

I'm glad you have the opportunity to get away with your lady. It'll be a good calm before the storm and allow you to clear your heads. Depending on when the POAA sale is, perhaps we'll be able to head out there and give you a boy-howdy (say hello) and at least get to meet you guys before you disappear into busy school life Smile

Wishing you both the best and a wonderful, quiet trip.

All the best

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

You kidding me LOL... me fully Disappear.... Squee!

Nah we are not going anywhere, I may be more occupied with school, but in the long run, I value my position with the CHB, and happy to be a member of the board. Also happy to be a part of this wonderful community, and all the new friends I have made here.

I'm always just a message away, might not get it for a day or two, but I'll get it.. LOL

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

It's amazing how quickly things can change, in one's life, this couldn't have come at a better time.

A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, I received conformation that both Karrie and I have been approved for adequate funding for school, costs of living.
Our Student loans have been approved and we have been assessed enough to cover our tuition, books, cost of living, transportation expenses, etc.

This was such a huge obstacle, but looks like we will be able to actually afford to go to school.
Going to be tight on the $$ but we will get by.

I still plan to downsize the amount of birds as in the long run, I will still not have all the time I currently have, and it's only fair to both the birds and my family that I find balance.

So now that things have settled out and I can stop worrying about funding, and money matters. I am still taking off for two weeks. Karrie needs this holiday bad, as she has been go go go for over a year, and me, I need some down time before the storm of school!

I have to say, life has gotten amazingly better with my new found diet, and positive thinking, and active lifestyle.

It's a whole new me!!

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yay Jonny!

Hurray for that!

I work at a college and if I may, I'd offer a suggestion.  I hope it's okay to just do it.  I know at the place I work, thousands of $$ in grants and bursaries go unawarded each year just because nobody, or nobody qualified, applied for it.  We have a huge website of awards each year, and the criteria are madly varied.  If you had time some weekend morning, brew a big pot of coffee and spend some time going through what I must imagine is a similar website for NAIT (I think that's what you said??) and print off those applications where they apply to you.  Each year we have available to be awarded over $1.5 million dollars, and only give out half of that.

ETA: Bursaries and grants are money you don't have to pay back! cheers 

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

farmchiq wrote:Hurray for that!

I work at a college and if I may, I'd offer a suggestion.  I hope it's okay to just do it.  I know at the place I work, thousands of $$ in grants and bursaries go unawarded each year just because nobody, or nobody qualified, applied for it.  We have a huge website of awards each year, and the criteria are madly varied.  If you had time some weekend morning, brew a big pot of coffee and spend some time going through what I must imagine is a similar website for NAIT (I think that's what you said??) and print off those applications where they apply to you.  Each year we have available to be awarded over $1.5 million dollars, and only give out half of that.

ETA: Bursaries and grants are money you don't have to pay back! cheers 
I started looking into Grants and Bursaries, as well Scholarships.
I qualify for a few, so I will be applying for them when they open up for applicants.

Once I am done this semester, I can apply for even more depending on my marks and academics, etc.

I plan to take opportunity any way I can when it comes to helping with the finical aspect of my Education.

I have a few people asking me how can I afford to go on a trip. Well it's simple I have learnt to budget, and save my money. Took me a few months, but well worth it.
And the result/reward is holiday time. Smile
This camping/roughing it trip we are going on, Karrie and I, we are using some of her vacation pay from work, money earned from jobs I have done here and there, some money from coop sales, I took some bottles in, got $60.00 bucks, which is gas money.

My student loans will be dispersed to NAIT to cover Tuition, once in Sept and once in Jan. There will also be two deposits in my account at the same time, to cover things like text books, clothes, gas money, food, etc.

Just nice to have found some balance in my life, and be on a level where things are positive.
Smile

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Banana  congrats you 2!!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

I don't think you need to explain to anyone how you can or can't afford a trip (or car, or anything else) unless you're deeply financially indebted to those people and haven't paid them, which I don't think is the case at all.

Your doors of opportunity are wide open as you walk through them, and you're clearing the path to success with all the hard work and horse shoes (jealous!). I'm certainly wishing you all the best, and I'm so happy for you and yours.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Sweetened wrote:I don't think you need to explain to anyone how you can or can't afford a trip (or car, or anything else) unless you're deeply financially indebted to those people and haven't paid them, which I don't think is the case at all.

Your doors of opportunity are wide open as you walk through them, and you're clearing the path to success with all the hard work and horse shoes (jealous!).  I'm certainly wishing you all the best, and I'm so happy for you and yours.
It's funny you mention this,

Growing up I have always felt as if I needed to justify spending money. As a family, we grew up and lived life on the low income scale for years, and it wasn't until my father tsamis, had his opportunity at 29 years of age, graduating from NAIT at 31yrs, changed everything. As a family, we grew and strengthened our lives finically, and emotionally, to where we are at now. I have always been honest with my father with my earnings and how I spend it, as I was foolish with money at age 18, putting myself into debt.
Karrie's mother, still has a huge control over Karrie's finances, they share an account and she monitors her spending.

Since we officially got together, I felt it even more so necessary to explain my financial situation, just something I have come accustom to, as I have not been generating much income these past few years, until recently I have had no income. Karrie's mom, kinda held that over my head for the first few years.
They thought I was taking a free ride off their only daughter, I don't blame them. Now they see other wise. They are very proud of me with what I have accomplished with Jonny Anvil's and my coop building, and even more respect has been earned that I am continuing on with my studies and have a better grip on my health.

Lately I have been opening up more, and finding myself often in deep thought, soul searching if you will.

I do apologize if I am being to open, and sharing too much.

I find I am most comfortable sharing with the great friends, in a way my second family I have developed here:D .

Did I mention I haven't slept yet, I always get insomnia before a trip.

Jonny Anvil wrote:I do apologize if I am being to open, and sharing too much.

I find I am most comfortable sharing with the great friends, in a way my second family I have developed here:D .

Please don't mistake what I said for you being too open Smile That's not it at all! Sometimes I just think outside parties feel the need to have everything explained to them, even when it's not any of their business.

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

Sweetened wrote:
Jonny Anvil wrote:I do apologize if I am being to open, and sharing too much.

Please don't mistake what I said for you being too open Smile That's not it at all!  Sometimes I just think outside parties feel the need to have everything explained to them, even when it's not any of their business.
I agree, sometimes I wish I could tell the mother in law to Step a Side, I'm a big boy now.. LOL

cheers 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum