Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cost of Chicken Food

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cost of Chicken Food Empty Cost of Chicken Food Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:24 am

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

Like others mentioned, with the colder weather and more times stuck indoors I had to find something to occupy me for a minute or two. So I figured out the cost of feeding my chickens. They are fed whole or cracked grains and seeds, mixed by hand. The total came to $40 per week, which, with 47 chickens, comes to $0.84 per bird per week. That sounded good until I realized it still adds up to $160 a month Shocked . With 8 birds molting, and the pullets not yet laying eggs, the odd leghorn egg is really expensive! But I wouldn't have it any other way. I wonder how it compares to premixed or pelleted feed.

2Cost of Chicken Food Empty RE: Cost of Chicken Food Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:52 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My husband is just off to the feed store. He is buying 1 bag of organic layer pellets $16.99 and tax and 1 bag of layer mash $15.99 and tax(some of the birds prefer it to the pellets) and he will probably sneak in a bag of hen scratch (not sure)and a small bag of corn ($3.95+ tax). We have 39 birds, 28 chickens; some banty, some hens, some pullets that are not yet laying and a giagantic rooster. We have 5 female Khaki Campbells, some laying, some not, 1 Khaki male, a breeding pair (I hope of Welsh Harlequin ducks, two Pekin sisters (huge eaters), a black & white Muscovy female and Mr Magoo (a blind young Khaki male). I believe that in the summer they do pay for their feed and hay, shavings etc, but right now, we are paying to have them lay. We do sell the eggs and don't ask perhaps as much as we should for free range, organic. It will be fun once hubby gets back to look at the bills and figure out what it would be per bird. This will be a good exercise.

3Cost of Chicken Food Empty Re: Cost of Chicken Food Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:07 pm

DLC

I swung a deal with the grain terminal down the highway,every 2 months I can show up and load up all the grain samples. They are in little sealed plastic bags but free food is free food. The manager stated they dont want them in the landfill due to rodent problems so this works for both of us. He also lets me pick up the grain spilt loading cars. As they say on Duck Dynasty Happy Happy Happy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum