Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another disappointing McMurray order

+2
Cathyjk
harrop'shens
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Another disappointing McMurray order Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:02 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Two weeks ago I picked up my first McMurray order. Two of us had gone together and ordered 60 chicks. There were lots of chicks dead on arrival and many more died in the first 24 hours. 23 died in total. Today we went to pick up the replacement chicks. They too were ice cold and not doing well. We even had a heating pad, water, and food to help them out. Of my 9 replacement Mille Fleur D'Uccles, only two are left. So disappointing. These were gifts for my children. Sad Other chicks in the order have also perished.

This time we are going to ask for our money back. No more McMurray orders for me.

2Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

they have to make a transfer from the plane to a truck. It's typically 36 hours. It was the same for Sandhill orders. It would be fine if you could get them right at the airport they came in on, but they go by plane and then by truck. And I am sure most don't bother to watch if those chicks sit on a tarmack in the cold.

I'm sorry so many didn't make it. I won't order anything from Ohio or more east, it's just not worth it.

3Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:22 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was just part of a group McMurray order. We were told the order was arriving May 30. Then the person picking up found out that day was a holiday in the US. When they contacted McMurray they said they had shipped the order. Our chicks spent 2 days aboard a plane and arrived only June 1.

Many of us loss chicks. Some lost their entire order. My birds and the ones I picked up for others, what didn't die were shocky. Even under heat lamps the chicks just stayed huddled. Had a heck of a time to get them to drink and then eat.

The majority of us are asking for a refund rather than a replacement order. After reading your experience, I'm glad we are.

4Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The other side: I've done three McMurray orders, 100 chicks each, and had excellent service and survival. The only hiccup was last year, when they were shipped on the July 4th weekend and the original vet papers didn't arrive in time. The hatchery was great, they faxed it to me and offered to fax it to customs, and also offered the option of cancelling the order. I've been 100% satisfied with them, and have another order arriving July 11.

5Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I think what one has to remember is the stress on these chicks.
Although it is nice to go into a group order to save some money and only have one person picking up it is so much extra stress on these chicks.
They are boxed in larger sets, boxes taped to one another, and maybe not handled as nicely as a single box would be. Then they are shipped for 2 days to get to the border, then car delivered to where ever to then be seperated. All the while not getting the food, water and care they need.
When a person does a small order, even with two people in it, that greatly reduces cost, also it is easier to handle, sort and get them on their way.
These little chicks had a long trip, and so many things could have gone wrong, and some did. But I know McMurray will do right to fix this order, they are great that way, but people do need to take shipping stress into consideration when doing larger orders like this one.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

6Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:11 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

On my first trip the chicks were distressed and unhappy when we finally got home, about six hours after crossing the border. On my next trip I opened up the boxes as soon as I was across the border and fed them. I used watery home-made apple sauce, to provide water, energy, and other nutrients; I used food colouring to make it bright and attractive, since chicks aren't that keen on straw-coloured stuff. (Both red and green were equally attractive, I found).
It worked wondrfully well. Instead of that frantic distressed peeping accompanying me on the second ferry trip of the day for them, all I heard were contented twitterings.

7Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 pm

DLC

I know when Anna picked up our order from Ideal by the time I got to Ogema she was watering them all with a Fructose mixture. (I think it was Fructose powder for making wine) It mixes instantly unlike sugar and it seemed to give them the added boost they needed. I know I never lost a chick and they had a 4 hour ride after that. There still all alive and these were Bantams which seem to have a very high mortality as in my Meyer order over 50%.

8Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes I think that is the key, get them rehydrated and energy into them as soon as possible. But avoid them getting wet if possible, especially bantams.

9Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:26 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

I offered water and grow gel. The ones that I could get to eat the grow gel are the two that survived. The others were so weak they only sipped at the water when I dipped their beaks. 7 died, 2 Millies made it through the first 24 hours. They are so tiny and so quiet. Anyone know how to sex a D'Uccles?

10Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:42 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The gro-jel isn't all that useful, IMO. They say it's good to hydrate 100 chicks, but only the big and strong ones, who need it least, get any of it. That's why I went for large quantities of gloppy applesauce on my next run.

11Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:52 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

ipf wrote:The gro-jel isn't all that useful, IMO. They say it's good to hydrate 100 chicks, but only the big and strong ones, who need it least, get any of it. That's why I went for large quantities of gloppy applesauce on my next run.

Oooh, applesauce is a great idea. I give it as a treat to my broody hens. Never thought of it for chicks. I'll go give them some right now. Thanks ipf!! cheers

12Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:37 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have already decided that I likely won't be doing another group order where there are many people involved. I have been talking to like minds and I think fewer people and more knowledge is the key to better success.

13Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:45 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

We all live and learn. The Gro gel works good if mixed up weaker than suggested so it is a bit more runny, I find it rehydrates a bit better.
i love the idea of the applesauce though, much cheaper and I bet the sweetness really draws them to it.

14Another disappointing McMurray order Empty Re: Another disappointing McMurray order Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 am

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Hidden River wrote:We all live and learn. The Gro gel works good if mixed up weaker than suggested so it is a bit more runny, I find it rehydrates a bit better.
i love the idea of the applesauce though, much cheaper and I bet the sweetness really draws them to it.

I did the same and mixed mine up like a runny soup. I was worried it would be too thick and choke them. They really liked it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum