Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wild turkeys

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Wild turkeys Empty Wild turkeys Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:08 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The island I live on has a pretty large population of wild turkey, and I just found out the farm I will be moving to has a resident flock of 25 wild turkeys, including one Tom that hangs out with the alpacas that currently live there.

The population is pretty healthy from what I can see, and are escapees from farms over the years so not truely wild, and there are some pretty interesting colours.

Three questions.
1. Are there diseases in a wild population of turkeys that are likely to harm my chickens?

2. Is it even worth considering bringing in new domestic turkeys to this location with a really dominant and large existing group? I love sweet grass and bourbon reds. But is it worth the risk?

3. Is it ethical to re-domesticate some of these turkeys and maybe use them in a breeding program to increase disease resisance to local diseases and cross it with some other domesticated turkey to increase the size but obtain the apparent good reproductive traits. It is not uncommon to see the wild turkeys hatch 10 or more chicks and they are good moms.

I wonder the best way to deal with this blessing or delema depending on the view. What would you do?

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2Wild turkeys Empty Re: Wild turkeys Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:57 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You have turkeys that are considerate enough to keep themselves. Hard enough keeping animals in pens. I'd harvest one or two at a time for my own uses.

3Wild turkeys Empty Re: Wild turkeys Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:06 am

niglefritz

I would be mindful of any hunting seasons. We have wild turkey around here (MB) and there is a proper season to harvest them. I think that the limit has been one in the past. This year, I am not sure. So...$20 for one bird...if you can get one. They are pretty wiley, so I hear...

If you wish to keep any contained, you need to get a permit. The permit was $20 some years ago, and so it would appear cheaper to keep some penned, although, considering that you have to feed them and such...

4Wild turkeys Empty Re: Wild turkeys Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

True. If there is a resident population, there will be a hunting season. Around here, we don't have them at this point in time and I think they would be considered feral (especially if they are known to have come from escapees).

We do have groups that are lobbying to be able to release birds and have a hunting season. Some farmers (like blueberry growers) aren't so keen and I think they have good reason. To bolster the case for the hunting groups, turkey flocks have been popping up in various places. The thing is, I understand our Canadian groups asked for help from those in Maine and the Maine groups (who release birds annually) have been doing so in places near the New Brunswick border. The politics of turkeys.

5Wild turkeys Empty Re: Wild turkeys Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have a resident flock here. Saw 3 hens with chicks a couple of days ago. They like to hang close to my chickens for some reason. Must feel safe.
We see them often and hear them lots. Had a Tom that lived in the ranch yard all winter. Not sure what has happened to him.
I is amazing that they just disappear when the hunting season starts and miraculously re appear when it is over.
I always tell hubby to watch out for eggs, wouldn't mind slipping some in the bator, but you didn't hear that from me.......Embarassed

6Wild turkeys Empty Re: Wild turkeys Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sounds like what you have is feral turkeys, not wild. . . ?
I see no ethical issue in re-domesticating them, if they are feral, and I think it's an excellent idea to use them in breeding for general vigour and disease resistance.

7Wild turkeys Empty Re: Wild turkeys Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:25 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

IPF, thank you...the correct term I should have used is feral. These definitely look like turkeys gone wild, not wild turkey.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum