Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Post Broody Hens

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Post Broody Hens Empty Post Broody Hens Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:56 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

Well, we survived the broody hen stage.  Now the first broody hen has laid 3 eggs in 4 days, her chicks being one month old today.  What comes next, and when?  Are they close to the time of separation?  How will I know?  Will the chicks fuss a lot before settling in to their new motherless life?  Can the broody hen be put straight into the coop with her old coop-mates, or do I need to do a slow reintroduction (they are in their own separate chicken tractor at the moment)?  I don't have outdoor heat - do they need it to replace mom's warm body until they adjust?  Any other questions you think of - please answer them, too!!!!  Thanks so much:D .

2Post Broody Hens Empty Re: Post Broody Hens Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

At 4 wks they won't need any heat anymore. Mom will just start ignoring them when she's ready to re-join the flock.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

3Post Broody Hens Empty Re: Post Broody Hens Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:34 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I move the Mom somewhere else and let the chicks stay where they are. Have never had a fuss and it usually only takes Mom a couple of days to be over it too.

4Post Broody Hens Empty Re: Post Broody Hens Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

My Cochin mom has 1.5 month olds. She no longer attacks me when I go in the coop, mostly ignores the chicks and is laying again. I think she may be getting broody again. Shocked 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum