Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Broody hens . . .

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Broody hens . . . Empty Broody hens . . . Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:53 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have a little silkie hen whom I think is considering being broody. She's alway sitting in the same spot in the coop but doesn't really growl or anything when I try to touch or move her. I put an egg under her yesterday and after a few hours she'd pushed it out on the floor. Today I gave her another and she's kept it now for about three or four hours. Is she just thinking about going broody or what?

2Broody hens . . . Empty Re: Broody hens . . . Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:31 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Doesn't sound like she is ready yet, give her some time.

3Broody hens . . . Empty Re: Broody hens . . . Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:36 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ya, I don't think she is broody yet. No experience with silkies though. I find when one of my large fowl are entering the beautiful, warmth filled world of the brooding hen, that it is very clear. I can prepare for that because for about 4 days to 10 days she will be walking around making a certain sound, which is very different than normal hen sounds. When a rooster comes near, she will fluff up and look very ominous, so big and scarey lookin' that that rooster daren't come near her. She would surely kick the crap out of him. A broody hen is a tough ol' gal and the roosters know and respect that. Then she will begin to feel really lovey and want to sit on the net, all fluffed up, with or without eggs, she will sit. When she has been sitting for a couple of days, and I know that she is dedicated, I will then allow her to have eggs. Sometimes they will begin that broody feeling and stop it, but only has happened once to me. She will fill out that nest box and flatten her body out, she will look like a fluffy, feathery pancake actually, smiling. Her head will be tucked into her body and she will look funny. If you go near her, she will fluff up and make sounds, all different kinds of sounds, some will peck you a little, but mine are for the most part calm and don't peck, I have nice broody mamma hens, they are very well mannered to me. The broody hen is a very dedicated gal. She has a huge job to do and takes it seriously. Very seriously. Sometimes when that hen gets off the nest she makes the loudest squawking sound as she stretches her wings, I am sure that is to intimidate that rooster that still thinks she would be a lovely gal to be with. Not, this is one scarey scarey lady and he bewares. Hmmmm...did I go off on a ramble? I think you question was a simple one, but I took it to the sky Shocked oops, my pardon. Good luck, you will see different behaviour when that silkie is REALLY gonna go on sitting eggs, you will be able to easily discern this. And...I've heard that breed makes really good mammas!! Happy days, and have a great day today, CynthiaM

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum