Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

how to keep geese out of the chicken food

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

vic's chicks

We have had geese for four days. I have duck and goose pellets that I feed them morning and night. The rest of the time I want them to forage on the copious weeds and grass we have here. They have decided layer crumble is their favourite food. Every time I go past the chicken yard they are at the feeder. Yesterday my hubby built a pop door in the fence so that we could still let the chickens free range. The geese managed to get through that small opening so he made it smaller . They still get through. Any ideas?

I have this EXACT problem, however it's with my goats. If you learn a technique, perhaps share and I can try it on them.

If it's crumbled, my goats will litterally break down doors, rip through bags, and risk a bite from the dogs to get it (dog food, cat food, rabbit food, chicken food). You'd think they didn't have 13 acres of quality grazing, not to mention all my caraganas they've destroyed.

Totally. With you.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

My sheep would do the same. I have a door that isn't very secure so the only thing I can do to keep them from busting in and gorging (and thus killing) themselves on chicken feed is to remove it during the day. I sit the feeder in a secure place and place it back out for the chickens in the evening. Chickens have time in morning and evening to eat their fill. Rest of the time they forage.

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I kept turkeys out of the chicken food by making a 3' diameter cage out of stucco wire and cutting a hole just big enough for the chickens to get through. Worked great.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Off topic, but Sweet, if you have male goats you NEED to keep them out of that food. We lost a goat to urinary stones due to previous owner letting them eat chicken food. Spent all night at the vet holding a 100lb goat upright while the vet worked on him. No luck.

I have a fit when they get in there. I always pen it off so they cant get at it. I know it can cause troubles from mineral imbalances. They are so voracious and aggressive for it, it's stupid. I've had them knock over the feed pale when you're walking with it, dumping it all over the ground. Drives me nuts.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am the queen of fences.

I have different fenced areas for the sheep and goats, the chickens and the geese and turkey. They can range in their fenced area or I can send them into the large free range area and close the gate behind them. There they all free range together. In the evening I call them back to their own areas, close the gates behind them and they can eat their own food.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Same here Sue. We have 2 male goats that live with a horse and sometimes geese. everybody gets pulled out for feeding time, unless they're just grazing.

vic's chicks

I hadn't thought of feeding them only twice a day. My chickens mostly stay around the yard. maybe they would range a little more if the feed wasn't always available. We made the chicken door even smaller. The geese are not getting in now. I was worried the roosters wouldn't be able to get out. It took them a while to figure out but they finally went through. I like it when all the little frustrating problems are resolved. It is so peaceful and enjoyable to live with farm animals then.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum