Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicken Under the Weather

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chicken Under the Weather Empty Chicken Under the Weather Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:26 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

We have a white chantecler chicken acting strangely, and maybe someone can help me figure out why. During the heat wave, it was panting with its wings spread out a little - thought nothing of it in the heat. But tonight it is still doing the same thing, easy to catch and pick up, and sitting in a nest with its tail a little hunched up. Not much to go on, but maybe it will sound familiar to someone?

2Chicken Under the Weather Empty Re: Chicken Under the Weather Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:54 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

They do spread their wings and pant when overheated, so just make sure they have lots of water and cooloer, shady spots to escape to when its scorching hot out.
I haven't noticed my Chanteclers being any more bothered by the heat than the other breeds, but they do have very dense down. they could be more susceptible to heat than the more loosely feathered breeds.
It would be good to give her a boost with an electrolyte and vitamin supplement added to her water. I hope she improves quickly for you.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Chicken Under the Weather Empty Re: Chicken Under the Weather Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:53 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Kathy. Intense heat can be really hard on animals, especially when they aren't used to such high R.H. As well as vits and electrolytes, I'd be breaking out the Rescue Remedy. Couldn't hurt, right? Hope she is feeling better tomorrow...

4Chicken Under the Weather Empty Re: Chicken Under the Weather Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:57 pm

ChickenTeam

ChickenTeam

She is better this morning, but I will be keeping an eye on her on the hot days and keeping the bottle of Rescue Remedy handy. Maybe, like me, she cannot handle anything above 20 degrees Celcius.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum