Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pullets die laying first egg??

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pullets die laying first egg?? Empty Pullets die laying first egg?? Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:45 pm

decourseyD

decourseyD
New Here

Anyone out there heard of that? And what it could be caused from? I lost two old English pullets - literally within a week of each other - when they laid their first egg....It was stuck in them. Seemed maybe it was too big?? I tried dipping them in a warm bucket of water with soap to relax them, and help the egg along. I was able to get the eggs out ok, but they were both dead by morning....so....sad....what is this about??

2Pullets die laying first egg?? Empty Re: Pullets die laying first egg?? Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:38 pm

Is this, maybe, genetic? Eggs too big for the bird..? I assume it would be shock killing them.

3Pullets die laying first egg?? Empty Re: Pullets die laying first egg?? Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:03 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well, if we always hatch our biggest eggs, we're putting pretty high selection pressure on the population for egg size. There are bound to be casualties. Chicken eggs are HUGE for the size of the bird.
Likewise with people - we're pretty much at the limit of "birthable" babies now.

4Pullets die laying first egg?? Empty Re: Pullets die laying first egg?? Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:19 pm

decourseyD

decourseyD
New Here

Soooooo....

It's not a management thing? As I am new to chicken husbandry, just want to make sure I haven't done something wrong!

5Pullets die laying first egg?? Empty Re: Pullets die laying first egg?? Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hard to say. One seems accidental; two seems. . . well, a bit suspicious. Do they have lots of calcium, available free choice?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum